Firearms Storage

skautdog

How often should any kind of oil be put on firearm stocks and other wood parts of rifles primarily stored in gun safes? These rifles are taken out every 6 months to a year and the metal oiled and just handled to be handled. What oil should be put on the stocks? Rifles range from M1 Garands to M1 Carbines to CW rifles to modern shotguns. The wood has had RenWax applied.

TIA

Ken

I use G 96 gun treatment it smells good and is anti rust I have used this as far back as the 196os.

I do not like to recamend a product, but this I will.

I think twice a year is a good schedule. I've used Break Free CLP (it's what we used in the army) to wipe down the metal (not the stocks though) for 25+ years. As long as it's NOT WD-40!

m1ashooter

I use mine on a regualr bases so they get cleaned a few times a year. I use BLO on my wood. Once or twice a year is good unless you live in a humid climate, then I'd do it more.

Best to have safe in climate controlled room, use a dehumidifying rod inside safe too. Ezox, break free, “Eds Red” plus others work well on metal. BLO as posted by M1A1 is great. Make sure you NEVER store anything metal in a closed plastic gun case, will rust. Use gun socks too to protect from dings when loading or unloading them in safe, socks are Cheap, well worth cost.

Thanks for the insight!

I use gun socks and have a heat stick on all the time in the safe and keep a humidity monitor in the safe.

Still not sure how often to oil the stocks and with what? Any additional information?

Also, I received a new (to me) M1 Carbine yesterday and the wood seems dry. What initial treatment should I use on the wood? Have not yet disassembled the rifle.

Thanks!!!!!

I think twice a year is a good schedule. I've used Break Free CLP (it's what we used in the army) to wipe down the metal (not the stocks though) for 25+ years. As long as it's NOT WD-40!

I second CLP. I have a pellet rifle I keep in my garage, a very hostile environment. CLP keeps it rust free. As for guns in my safe, CLP applied many years ago has kept them rust free. CLP is the best I know of.

I have a dehumidifying rod, plus I use "Arm & Hammer Moisture Absorbent " containers. You would be amazed at how much moisture is removed from a safe, even using a rod in conjunction. Also , being old school, I still use "LSA" on all metal, and finally, "Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment for all my wood stocks. The Formby's does not affect any metal on the rifles. Haven't had an issue yet. SKIP

By chance you want an argument, talk to some old Marine “ Gunny” about boiled or unboild linseed oil. Heard that almost 50 years ago, lol.

Unless wood is drying out, generally doesn't hurt to leave alone....And if needed, lightly rub some boiled linseed oil on it....

Dessicants (sp?) work well for moisture too.....These are the packets found with clothing and shoes.....Bigger packets found in packaged computers are better, Bodes

• 4 weeks later...
The Rooster

A canvas or fabric sack with rice in it (Uncooked) lol

Will suck up a lot of moisture too.

The Rooster

Come to think of it though. It is a bit of a catch 22. By throwing things in the safe to keep the moisture out,

you end up drying out the wood. So one would think you would have to have some treatment on the wood and something to keep the moisture in the safe down.

I think... that if you keep your gun safe anyplace other than in the basement in a normal house, you wouldnt have to worry much as long as you wiped them down a couple times a year.

I have a pistol I keep out of the safe year round for Justin.

I have to throw some break free in it and on it about 3 times a year.

I have not gone to the range with it in almost 3 years.

Now if you've spent thousands and some rare guns etc etc then you might worry more about than I do.

Mine are all surplus on the low end and used and safe queens to keep them safe to be sure.

I got some of them from a lady whose Dad had died and he kept them in his basement in a safe..

There was was NOS colt 1911 that was rusted.. etc etc.

Sad.