Battle damaged WW2 M1 Helmet. Need Help!

trenchfoot

trenchfoot

Heres another...

Man!!! you have an awesome piece of history there Trenchfoot!!!

M1 Helmet with Bullet Hole This helmet was worn by Captain John Finke of F Company 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Captain Finke was wearing this helmet during the Battle for Troina, 3 August 1943, when a bullet pierced it. Although wounded, he stayed with his men all day, refusing medical evacuation until late in the afternoon. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his action.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I've seen Captain Finke's helmet before. Is it in a museum?

Great to see all of this! It's highly likely that the 33--- number on the punch card in the NARA database was a typo - he should have a 36--- number from Michigan, and this all makes sense.

RememberThe5thESB

That's a helmet I could only ever dream of getting! Absolute beauty!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

trenchfoot

I also found this cool photo from the 77th Division. It's not Mr. Jones but it's still neat:

post-163344-0-33805900-1556820135_thumb.jpg

Heres another...

Man!!! you have an awesome piece of history there Trenchfoot!!!

M1 Helmet with Bullet Hole This helmet was worn by Captain John Finke of F Company 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Captain Finke was wearing this helmet during the Battle for Troina, 3 August 1943, when a bullet pierced it. Although wounded, he stayed with his men all day, refusing medical evacuation until late in the afternoon. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his action.

Is this your helmet its very cool!

The Rooster

Is this your helmet its very cool!

Psssst…….

Its Trenchfoots Helmet...

lol

You are referring to Captain Finkes Helmet with a bullet hole. No sir… I just found the image and info on the web.

I wish!

Psssst.

Its Trenchfoots Helmet...

lol

You are referring to Captain Finkes Helmet with a bullet hole. No sir I just found the image and info on the web.

I wish!

Finke's helmet is on display at the First Infantry Division Museum in Wheaton, Illinois.

Very cool helmet ! All the 80th inf div MR are online so you can learn more about the actions occuring when he was WIA.

Ben