Battle damaged WW2 M1 Helmet. Need Help!

trenchfoot

trenchfoot

Hello,

I recently got this ww2 FS FB m1 helmet with liner that has experienced a bullet strike at the rear of the helmet. The bullet entered in, went between the liner and shell, and exited, barely skimming the webbing. This was a recent find from an estate sale in California. The helmet has so much grime and wear, it is amazing.

On the chinstrap is a name and SN. I believe the first name is Emlyn and I know the last name is Jones, The SN is also very hard to read but I know for a fact the last 4 digits are 9091 as that is stamped in the webbing. I found an Emlyn Jones who enlisted in November 1945 who has a very similar, if not the same serial number as the one on this helmet, but that's way to late for combat. He was born in 1924 and is listed as having only 2 years of high school, so he should have seen service before 1945. Could this enlistment date be a mistake or his 2nd one? He also passed away in California, which matches where it came from. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Facts:

last name is Jones

First name starts with "E" and is not very long

Laundry number is J-9091

post-163344-0-36849200-1556749930_thumb.jpgpost-163344-0-08277900-1556749937_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I like it alot, hope you find some history. Looks like an amazing find.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

There are lots of re-enlistment records of guys who re-upped - Jone's full SN is 33579091 - which is not a California number block...by the number it's PA/MD area because of the 33- number. The guys within two-three digits of his serial number were initially inducted on 22 JAN 1943....so the record you're seeing is probably him re-enlisting for the RA at the end of the war; he world have kept his draftee 3---- serial number.

Ancestry has a database of PA guys who requested a bonus after the war that has basic info....I'll see if he's in there. If he re-upped for the RA, this might also be an early Korean War helmet.

OK- So I cannot find a PA veteran bonus file for him - looks like he was originally from the Detroit area, might have been in another state for work when drafted? In Michigan he should have a 36---- number.

Anyways, died in Los Angeles in 1989 so there is your California connection. According to the VA BIRLS file 24 DEC 46 was his last day in the Army - he may have just extended for one year on occupation duty.

As cool as this is I would highly suggest contacting Matt and having him see if this guy's file or partial file is available at NARA:

Check out:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/283103-research-services-at-the-nprc-st-louis/

trenchfoot

There are lots of re-enlistment records of guys who re-upped - Jone's full SN is 33579091 - which is not a California number block...by the number it's PA/MD area because of the 33- number. The guys within two-three digits of his serial number were initially inducted on 22 JAN 1943....so the record you're seeing is probably him re-enlisting for the RA at the end of the war; he world have kept his draftee 3---- serial number.
Ancestry has a database of PA guys who requested a bonus after the war that has basic info....I'll see if he's in there. If he re-upped for the RA, this might also be an early Korean War helmet.

That would make a lot of sense, thank you! He was living in Michigan at the time and it says he reenlisted in the Army Air Corps in West Virginia in 1945.

EDIT: the 2nd number in the Serial number on the helmet looks very much like 6 and not a 3.

2ndInf.Div.

Hey trenchfoot,

There's a possibility he has a hospitalization form as a result of this, assuming he was wounded by it, which means there is a good possibility I could find his unit for you. Feel free to send me a message if you are interested in having this researched.

trenchfoot

Hey trenchfoot,

There's a possibility he has a hospitalization form as a result of this, assuming he was wounded by it, which means there is a good possibility I could find his unit for you. Feel free to send me a message if you are interested in having this researched.

Message sent

The Rooster

Wow!!! You can see why he would have wanted to keep it forever. Wow!!!!

The Rooster

Im thinking this happened a lot back in those days....

"Coast Guardsman Charles Tyner, Fireman first class, examines the jagged shrapnel hole in the helmet he wore during the initial assault on the beaches of Southern France... Tyner suffered just a superficial scratch...

post-181333-0-82490000-1556778557_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Heres another...

Man!!! you have an awesome piece of history there Trenchfoot!!!

M1 Helmet with Bullet Hole This helmet was worn by Captain John Finke of F Company 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Captain Finke was wearing this helmet during the Battle for Troina, 3 August 1943, when a bullet pierced it. Although wounded, he stayed with his men all day, refusing medical evacuation until late in the afternoon. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his action.

post-181333-0-32183600-1556780762.jpg

manayunkman

Very cool helmet and very glad that you were able to get an ID.

This helmet represented the luckiest day of his life so I'm sure he was semi mental I mean sentimental about it.

After talking to vets who kept similar mementos I'm sure no one would be surprised to hear that they felt it would bring them good luck the rest of their lives.

I love the way Captain Finke painted his bars.

trenchfoot

Very cool helmet and very glad that you were able to get an ID.

This helmet represented the luckiest day of his life so I'm sure he was semi mental I mean sentimental about it.

After talking to vets who kept similar mementos I'm sure no one would be surprised to hear that they felt it would bring them good luck the rest of their lives.

I love the way Captain Finke painted his bars.

wow, nice find

Very cool Russ

Congrats brother

- Dean

Great helmet!!.....mike

Thanks everyone! I'm super psyched to have been able to get my first battle damaged m1 helmet, and to find out more about Mr. Jones.

Russ