Close to mint M4A2 Flak Helmet

The Rooster

The Rooster

Here is a real nice M4A2 looks like it was never issued.

Ive read these are made up of layered steel plates under the canvas.

Rooster!!

post-181333-0-52498400-1556743319_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

I put this in the wrong post but no matter. If you were to design head protection, wouldn't you make sure that extended to covering the rear the neck area?

I don't get these things.. Better than a leather flying cap for sure but not much protection.

I got the helmet in today. Heres a couple of new pics…….Other than the spots… its in great shape. Its still mostly covered with the flocking.

I have to say though… that if I was back in the day and I was issued this helmet, I'd have to say its better than nothing...

But I don't know if it offers that much protection as the metal seems thinner than a steel pot and it offers absolutely

no protection for the back of the neck. Its not that the thing is rinky dink… It is well constructed… It just seems like a piece of metal going fast enough would go right through it.

But…. its better than nothing I guess. Maybe more psychological as well. Having something.

I understand the need to make it smaller but it just seems like not much.

post-181333-0-96078600-1556825695_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-57361100-1556825707_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

Very nice flak helmets rooster...nice to see them with the leather not dry rotted...a surplus shop here locally had a box of the M4A2s from the New Castle Air National Guard base, in various condition...even had one of the yellow star helmets, but no ear flaps, they were removed at some point...

as far as the protective nature of the helmets...Have read were flak would enter the aircraft at varying degrees of velocity, depending on distance when exploding from the aircraft... some pieces would drop to the floor of the plane and some of the higher velocity flak pieces would/could penetrate the helmet, and some would be deflected...something is better than nothing

but again great helmets!

The Rooster

Does anyone know which way is front on these helmets.

I mean the cloth covered A2

I am thinking the side with the straps over the top of the lid is the front. ?

Im thinking that the placement of the tag inside confuses folks and they are displaying them bass akwards.

I see them for sale and they are always displayed with the top straps to the back. Im thinking this is wrong.

I dont think the placement of the tag means squat. ?

Arent those straps for securing an oxygen mask?

The Rooster

I found out they do go to the back. Just like leather flying helmets.. To hold earphone wires...

phantomfixer

yep tag in back, and straps in back...never seen goggle or anything attached to helmet...the helmet was worn over top of a standard flight helmet

maybe the straps were for the flak goggles?