Very rough M1's, layers of paint, rust, etc.

RDUNE

Hello all,

These two helmets showed up at work the other day and I practically got them for free. I was told they came out of a shed. They are probably the roughest helmets I've ever owned. The FB on the left almost looks white-washed with possible captains bars. The SB on the right has multiple layers of paint but there is a layer of white peeking through that gives me hope. The liners are destroyed but might be candidates for re-webbing. So, what are your thoughts? Aside from brushing the dust, dirt, and loose rust off of them, what if anything should I do beyond that? The FB will probably stay mostly as-is but I'm leaning towards removing some paint on the SB and seeing what happens. That one clearly saw years of use after the war but might have something interesting going on under all that paint.

I appreciate any thoughts or input :)

Thanks

-Ryan

post-44370-0-07832200-1556719586_thumb.jpg

I'd do the same, leave the FB alone and work on the SB. It has very late straps (strap) left on it, don't think restoring or stripping it will hurt at all.

Blacksmith

My standard answer is leave as-is. They are what their history has created them to be. I’ve seen very few successful attempts to turn back time. It normally just results in a smeary mess.

The red one looks to be a fireguard helmet.

I honestly do not think that removing paint will help the helmets in any way.

I would therefore leave them alone.

I am not against removing paint under limited circumstances.

If I thought it would improve them in any way, I would be OK with it.

I'm thinking the swivel loop began life in the navy and needed service there. All those colors are typically found on USN helmet. Stripping might get you back to factory OD. Honestly, this one is best left as is.

The fixed loop, ain't bad either. ;)

huntssurplus

I'd leave them how they are. The wear shows actual character and use. Would rather have something actually worn and used then something that only sat in a warehouse or factory.

Hunt

they look like they came off a decommissioned naval vessel, probably looked that way before they were stored in the shed

the condition looks like it was caused from a salt water / salt air environment.

BILL THE PATCH

Do what you want too, either way your not losing much. The fixed bail there is nothing you can do to far gone. Strip the other, see if there is navy grey underneath. JMHO

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I don't understand why you would want to strip the navy red to see if there is navy gray under it

BILL THE PATCH

I don't understand why you would want to strip the navy red to see if there is navy gray under it

Because we can see the red is almost gone anyway, there might be the painted insignia on the grey part, it's worth the risk seeing that there basically worthless.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Because we can see the red is almost gone anyway, there might be the painted insignia on the grey part, it's worth the risk seeing that there basically worthless.

Meh

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

If the red is almost gone then you should be able to tell if there is insignia without removing it.