Glenview NAS needs help

JakeBird6684

JakeBird6684

Hey all

This Museum i'm about to talk about is in dire need of money and gets no publicity.

The glenview naval airstation is a little north of chicago and has extensive history dating back to the 1920's and 30s onward. The naval airstation was used extensivly during WW2 as a training center. The Great lakes naval training center (farther north of glenview and chicago) converted two old steamships into aircraft carriers called the USS Wolverine and the USS Sable, which were used to train pilots to land on an aircraft carrier. Pilots who were trained later went on to the battle of midway in the pasific. Many pilots have crashed their planes into the water and they still rest their today (Along with the Imperial german U-boat, UC-93). Yes you heard me right, there is at least 50 navy fighters/Dive bombers at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

This tiny museum in the back ally of downtown glenview is only open for five hours on saterday and sunday and thats it. To make it worse, I visited the museum twice this past weeked and I was the ONLY visitor.

Bob and Irv are retired Glenview NAS veterans and get lonely and need someone to talk to.

I have become close friends with both of these men and they allowed me to look around thier back room and what I saw was astonishing.

They get donations almost everyday and have nowhere to put it, so they put it all in the storage room in the back. They have many rare uniforms of local veterans and an a ton of other items.

The museum is trying to raise 40,000 dollars to open up a larger facility to put a grumman helcat, coast guard chopper and other vehicles in along with their hundreds of uniforms.

I will leave a link below of their website and donate if you want, but definitly don't have to.

Help save a local historic museum thats in dire need, and if not, just visit the museum and that would be great.

http://thehangarone.org/newlayoutindex.asp

Thanks,

Jake Bird

Brian Keith

Sounds like a neat place, close to a major population center. I can't see $40K going very far up that way.

Good Luck to them, I am very familiar with that type of struggle.

BKW

JakeBird6684

Beast, I believe it was opened right after the base closed down and it has very small publicity

Thanks for the support.

Jake Bird

I agree, its a local gem that doesn't get too much publicity. I've been there a few times and donated stuff in the past. Its tucked away in the back corner of a small industrial park. I also have a few things pertaining to the old base.

Options have dwindled...

1. Private donor(s) could step forward to subvent current and projectable expenses.
2. Government(s) could allocate an unpredictably dependable revenue.

Philanthropic organizations generally do not, for their own reasons, financially support operating expenses.