WW2 US Miller's Hell Ball Hellball Grenade Prototype

TCSchultz

About 10 years ago a woman that I know had cleaned out a house in Maine that she had bought and found a case of prototype grenades called the Hell Ball that were made by the Keyes Fibre Company of Waterville, ME along with the patent paperwork from an inventory named Miller. At the time I just want to recoup my spend so I flipped the entire case to another dealer who end up selling them to a well know dealer who advertises here on the forum who pieced them out on his website. Needless to say I was disappointed after the fact that I didn't keep one but as luck will have it another picker turned up an extra one recently that a neighbor of the original seller had gotten as a gift from her.

So now I have one again that I can share with you all. The grenade is inert and consists of a round housing with a screw in fuse assembly with a metal ring pin that was to be used to fire the fuse. The material appears to be a type of plastic possibly bakelite and is grooved to shatter on explosion. Being plastic it would have been impossible to find with an x-ray so anyone wounded with this would have been out of luck needless to say so I suspect that's why the US Government declined it but not sure but perhaps the production version would have been metal. If anyone has a copy of the paperwork that was sold with the hellballs please post it here as I can't find my own at this time.

post-17286-0-54891700-1556469888_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-75100500-1556469901_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-20801100-1556469917_thumb.jpg

I agree that it looks like a beano. Interesting that neither ended up going anywhere (at least I don't think they went anywhere). I had a chance to buy a beano once but I couldn't satisfy myself that it was inert (and the seller didn't know) so I passed. Your Keyes Fibre grenade is a beauty.

Brian Dentino

A very cool grenade. Never seen one of these before. It indeed does remind me of a beano. Is the outside made of plastic or some similar material?

digi-shots

Plastic, I believe. Made by Keyes Fibre - same folks that made grip stocks for the m1911A1 pistol.

• 1 year later...