Ken,buddy in Pa. bought the other, been a few years. Have rations from WWII- today. Have to go out of town tomorrow or I’d post some more, think have all LRRPs and the new rations.

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

USARV72,

I'll trade you my Chicken ala King for two cigarette packs and your fruit cake. LOL

Great stuff guys!

TH1

Collector of WWI US Navy "Donald Duck" Caps and Hat Tallies - Looking for Tallies from the USS Carp & USS Chauncey

LOL, fruit cake, pound cake and peaches were best in Meals, Individual( “C rats) in RVN were best. Ham and limas were not even liked by LNs, they would call you “ numba10” if you tried to trade or even give them away. Cant post what we called them......

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2017.gif

Sorry for hijacking your tread Viking 73... I just love old mres and US rations

cheers ken

Ken,

Not at all sir! I too love US military rations.

Thanks for posting these photos of the first MREs Ken and USARV72. What year(s) are these from? I don't think I've ever seen these before.

-Derek

LOL, fruit cake, pound cake and peaches were best in Meals, Individual( C rats) in RVN were best. Ham and limas were not even liked by LNs, they would call you numba10 if you tried to trade or even give them away. Cant post what we called them......

Had a since retired co-worker affectionately call them beans and mfers

RJ

Always looking for WWII era 45th Infantry related items

"Semper Anticus"

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

In the early 80s, I lived on these when sent to Honduras. One of the best of the worst, was reconstituting the dehydrated pork pattie with the lemonade mix. made it taste a bit like breakfast sausage.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Always looking for information on the USMC from 1916 - 1920, exp the 11th Company in Haiti and in WW1, 4th 5th, HQ Company.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

donation2009.gif2015
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

plick and jeb, LOL. First MREs I had were re enacting WWII, active duty guy brought some to an event, cold spam, pork and beans right out of can or Vienna Sausages were prefered over MREs. The beef and pork pattys were called “Track Pads” since they looked like pads on 113/577s and 551 track, dont think my dog would eat them, lol.

In Vietnam ham and limas were called ham and mf-ers, when opened guys would say,” hey, wheres the ham? all I see is mf- ing beans”. I tried them 1 time, used to heat canned rations on manifolds of 151’s, or M-37s or with torch on wrecker. Always put hole in lid with P-38 so they would not blow up if forgotten. We had a mess hall where we ate unless out on a job off base. Now if you want to get gross we will discuss nuoc mawm and baloots..........

donation2017.gif

topdcnut, LOL. Baloots, one of the grossest “ food” out there. Funny story about them and a FNG. Mamasan could clear a hootch when she opened her bottle of nuoc mawm at lunch. (~:

donation2017.gif

• 2 months later...

Interesting, never seen or heard of MREs when I was in, heard of the LRRPS, some guys in my company one field problem (ARTEP May 1982) even got an issue of the LRRPS. Me? No, just got the Cs. Having got out in mid Dec 82 I guess MREs really started to be known in 83-84.

Basic Jan 82.. C rats... And prob didnt see an MRE until...84-85...

I liked the C rats much better than the MRE. Meals Rejected by Everyone.

I liked the P-38. I liked the food beter too. But The MRE is more tactical seeing as you dont have to light the box on fire to heat it. No cans.. Since the MRE comes with that water activated heater. C-Rats...and MRE's worked havoc on my delicate internal constitution.

I think they made them so you didnt have to go for like 5 days. And then when you did it was a brick. Not good.

Better than starving... But not good for ya.Not for too long anyway.

• 7 months later...