Sealed 1981 MRE Case

viking73

msgt norway

thank you for taking your time to dig it out and post pictures of it !

here is mine :

post-2975-0-34186900-1556731871_thumb.jpg

msgt norway

I know about only 3 first run mres,mine yours and one in Germany in a museum B) so I guess we have something really rare :)

do you have other cool rations?

cheers ken

msgt norway

Sorry for hijacking your tread Viking 73... I just love old mres and US rations

cheers ken

Ken,buddy in Pa. bought the other, been a few years. Have rations from WWII- today. Have to go out of town tomorrow or I’d post some more, think have all LRRPs and the new rations.

USARV72,

I'll trade you my Chicken ala King for two cigarette packs and your fruit cake. LOL

Great stuff guys!

TH1

I ate my first MRE's in Boot Camp at P.I. in 1983. None of them had cigarettes in them by then.

LOL, fruit cake, pound cake and peaches were best in Meals, Individual( “C rats) in RVN were best. Ham and limas were not even liked by LNs, they would call you “ numba10” if you tried to trade or even give them away. Cant post what we called them......

Sorry for hijacking your tread Viking 73... I just love old mres and US rations

cheers ken

Ken,

Not at all sir! I too love US military rations.

Thanks for posting these photos of the first MREs Ken and USARV72. What year(s) are these from? I don't think I've ever seen these before.

-Derek

msgt norway

thanks !

not Shure when mine is packed,have to check the codes again later this weekend but its about 1978/79 if im not wrong.

LOL, fruit cake, pound cake and peaches were best in Meals, Individual( C rats) in RVN were best. Ham and limas were not even liked by LNs, they would call you numba10 if you tried to trade or even give them away. Cant post what we called them......

Had a since retired co-worker affectionately call them beans and mfers

In the early 80s, I lived on these when sent to Honduras. One of the best of the worst, was reconstituting the dehydrated pork pattie with the lemonade mix. made it taste a bit like breakfast sausage.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

plick and jeb, LOL. First MREs I had were re enacting WWII, active duty guy brought some to an event, cold spam, pork and beans right out of can or Vienna Sausages were prefered over MREs. The beef and pork pattys were called “Track Pads” since they looked like pads on 113/577s and 551 track, dont think my dog would eat them, lol.

In Vietnam ham and limas were called ham and mf-ers, when opened guys would say,” hey, wheres the ham? all I see is mf- ing beans”. I tried them 1 time, used to heat canned rations on manifolds of 151’s, or M-37s or with torch on wrecker. Always put hole in lid with P-38 so they would not blow up if forgotten. We had a mess hall where we ate unless out on a job off base. Now if you want to get gross we will discuss nuoc mawm and baloots..........

topdcnut, LOL. Baloots, one of the grossest “ food” out there. Funny story about them and a FNG. Mamasan could clear a hootch when she opened her bottle of nuoc mawm at lunch. (~:

• 2 months later...
phantomfixer

chicken ala death was another name for it ... :D

was the menu the same for 1986? Local army navy just sold me a sealed case...and really don't want to open it unless it had the chicken ala king LOL

Interesting, never seen or heard of MREs when I was in, heard of the LRRPS, some guys in my company one field problem (ARTEP May 1982) even got an issue of the LRRPS. Me? No, just got the Cs. Having got out in mid Dec 82 I guess MREs really started to be known in 83-84.

The Rooster

Basic Jan 82.. C rats... And prob didnt see an MRE until...84-85...

I liked the C rats much better than the MRE. Meals Rejected by Everyone.

I liked the P-38. I liked the food beter too. But The MRE is more tactical seeing as you dont have to light the box on fire to heat it. No cans.. Since the MRE comes with that water activated heater. C-Rats...and MRE's worked havoc on my delicate internal constitution.

I think they made them so you didnt have to go for like 5 days. And then when you did it was a brick. Not good.

Better than starving... But not good for ya.Not for too long anyway.

• 7 months later...
msgt norway

sorry for relay late reply....

phantomfixer: was the menu the same for 1986? yes the chicken ala king is there as menu 9

cheers ken

• 3 years later...
On 4/28/2019 at 8:24 PM, T Ambrosini said:

Yeah, baby.... Ham and chicken loaf!!! :wacko:

Between crackers with cheese spread. Followed by orange nut cake!

• 3 months later...
Obsolete_Battleship

that takes me back- my era

I remember the desserts were pretty good- the entrees- well, not so much 

Obsolete_Battleship
On 4/28/2019 at 8:59 PM, JesseJames said:

Nice find. They practically gave it away @ $20. People pay a lot of money for old MRE's.

Checkout that guy on youtube who eats MRE's from the vietnam war and reviews them like they're 5-course meals. He's eaten MRE's from the korean war and ww2 as well. Not sure how he's still alive.

Yep Steve1984 or something like that. He's fit as hell to- must have immunity. I remember eating late 60s early 70s VN stuff in 79-80- and I questioned 10 years let alone 50+