Sealed 1981 MRE Case

viking73

Hi,
Yesterday and hit an antique store I'd never gone to before close to me. There was a couple of sellers with military items but I didn't see anything I really couldn't live without... Prices were so-so. Then I checked out one booth with some random stuff and as I was about to turn and walk away, I spied this box until a table. An unopened case of MREs from 1981!! And the best part, it was marked down to $20 :)
-Derek

post-5482-0-34279300-1556468554_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-45151700-1556468571_thumb.jpg

Nice find. They practically gave it away @ $20. People pay a lot of money for old MRE's.

Checkout that guy on youtube who eats MRE's from the vietnam war and reviews them like they're 5-course meals. He's eaten MRE's from the korean war and ww2 as well. Not sure how he's still alive.

Nice find. They practically gave it away @ $20. People pay a lot of money for old MRE's.

Checkout that guy on youtube who eats MRE's from the vietnam war and reviews them like they're 5-course meals. He's eaten MRE's from the korean war and ww2 as well. Not sure how he's still alive.

Yeah, I thought so too. The original price was $40 but it had been marked down to $20. Guess they'd been there awhile, waiting for me to come take them home :)

Steve1989's ration reviews on YouTube are pretty great. I am a subscriber I admit. Not too long ago, he ate a piece of Civil War hardtack. Crazy but can't look away.

I'm sure these MREs aren't any good. This case will stay sealed even though I am a bit tempted to open the case and check them out in all their dark brown pouch glory!

-Derek

No MREs in Vietnam, meal, individual AKA “C rations” and freeze dried LRRP rations. IIRC first MREs came out late 70s , in a green cardboard box. One in collection. LRRP rations would maybe be ok? Had lots of them in 80s, son and I ate some when camping.

phantomfixer

AWESOME!!

those early ones had dehydrated meat sponges...just add water and a steak appeared LOL or just a brown sponge....the best were the dehydrated strawberries ,,,good stuff...and just my opinion...unless they burst open...I would say I would eat one...if the case was opened...dont think I would open a sealed case though...

msgt norway

this case is packed in 1982. may 13th.

btw its a cool find :)

let me know if considering selling it....

cheers ken

phantomfixer

Cold ham and cheese omelet, one of the best

...I could never get past the smell...even with the Tabasco

Favorite was the sghetti with meat sauce...but don't think that was one of the original menu items

Anyone have a list of the original menus for the MREs...the menu choices were limited IIRC

msgt norway

01 pork patty

02 ham and chicken loaf

03 beef patty

04 beef slices with bbq sauce

05 beef stew

06 frankfurters with beans

07 turkey diced with gravy

08 beef diced with gravy

09 chicken ala king

10 meatballs with bbq sauce

11 ham slices

12 beef ground with spiced sauce

12 b chicken loaf

these was the menus from 1981-1985

msgt norway

No MREs in Vietnam, meal, individual AKA “C rations” and freeze dried LRRP rations. IIRC first MREs came out late 70s , in a green cardboard box. One in collection. LRRP rations would maybe be ok? Had lots of them in 80s, son and I ate some when camping.

got pictures of the old style/first run mre?

cheers ken

cheers ken

Yea, have to dig out the rations box, be tomorrow. Was thinking about it but to busy.....

cheers ken

Yea, have to dig out the rations box, be tomorrow. Was thinking about it but to busy.....

post-6975-0-30645000-1556713147_thumb.jpeg

First issue MRE .

Ken, Thank you for prompting me to dig this out, found a leaking can of RVN C rations that had fungus among us, caught it in time. Will post pics in another thread on storing rations.