Snipe, Texas

Silver Star

AWARDED FOR ACTIONS

DURING World War II

Service: Marine Corps

Battalion: 3d Battalion

Division: 4th Marine Division

GENERAL ORDERS:

Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force Pacific: Serial 1026 (January 3, 1945)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Corporal Van V. Adams (MCSN: 820341), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity as a Machine Gun Squad Leader while serving with Company L, Third Battalion, Twenty-fourth Marines, FOURTH Marine Division, during operations against enemy Japanese forces on Saipan, Marianas Islands, from 15 June to 9 July 1944. When hostile machine gun fire wounded the men carrying the gun as Corporal Adams led his squad in an attack on a strongly defended enemy position, he courageously crawled forward alone, although he had been wounded twice, in an attempt to recover the gun from its exposed position. While he was attempting to reach the weapon with a length of wire, an enemy land mine, aimed at him, exploded and partially demolished the gun. Refusing to be evacuated, Corporal Adams returned to the front lines and joined in the attack, sustaining two more wounds before he was ordered to the rear. By his leadership, initiative and devotion to duty, he contributed materially to the success of this vital campaign and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Research is on going and his file has been ordered. He’s been very hard to find more information about than most I’ve researched. Incredible he still had the will to fight after being wounded multiple times. Will update with more info once I get his file in hand.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another amazing quality piece! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Hoping to get his file and shed more light on his wounds

Another fine pick up. Can't wait tosee his file.

Nick

Thanks! Very much looking forward to it as well

I always get a little envious when I see a Texas marine in someone else's collection. That's a lovely cut down!

First piece of any WW2 Marine gear I’ve had in my possession. Looks like he was from a small town!