M-14 dummy training rifle

P-59A

We've seen lots of the M-16 dummy rifles (and even the old US Navy dummy Springfields) on the forum but i can't recall a dummy M-14.

My understanding is that Fort Leonard Woods was and is a training facility for the Engineer's. I was told they issued these to the troops when constructing bridges over water. Better to lose a dummy rifle than the real thing.

I note the dummy was cast from a Springfield Armory M14NM marked rifle. I have a dummy M1 that was cast from a H&H M1 and all of the logo can be read.

• 2 months later...
ironsights66

I'd just like to add that the rubber m16s that are used at FLW for bridge training are called rubber ducks, because they float. I imagine that the term could have been used back then as well.

I'd just like to add that the rubber m16s that are used at FLW for bridge training are called rubber ducks, because they float. I imagine that the term could have been used back then as well.

Maybe not. This is not a floater, It's a sinker.

Bob Hudson

Okay now you got me - I have to see if my m-16 rubber duck floats.

Bob Hudson

Please tell me if it works, I never got to try it

My understanding is that they put a bunch of metal in the casting to make it the same weight as the real thing - my guess is that it will go aglub.....

We used to take "rubber ducks" on runs thru swamps in Louisiana. Had to spend quite a lot of time finding one or two as ours , at least, didn't float.

ironsights66

If I had to hazard a guess, none of them really float, rather its a myth circulated through the PNN, I always had a hard time believing those heavy hunks of plastic and steel would float, I just figured there must be an air pocket in them.

• 1 month later...

They do not float. None of them do. But they cost much less than an actual rifle, and more importantly do not require the same level of accountability.