SERIAL NUMBERED PURPLE HEART

SFTROOPER86

SFTROOPER86

Gentlemen,

This is a new area of collecting for me and I really appreciate your guidance and information. Medal collecting is a world unto itself and I have a lot to learn. I just discovered that a Purple Heart I own is part of a large medal grouping to an Army SSGT. It has numbers on its edge. Its hard to photograph in a manner that it is easily recognizable but the number is 155888 and it was awarded during the Vietnam War in 1971. It is a slot broached medal with ribbon bar in the typical Army box. The purple part seems like a thin layer of glass like enamel.

Can anyone tell me anything about this medal? This serial numbered medal is not the one that is name engraved as it was presented while in the hospital. The name engraved were received at some point after the war.

Thanks again,

Vince

post-6407-0-07873200-1556347275_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-02488700-1556347307_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-74867500-1556347519_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-78118400-1556347534_thumb.jpg

Source: http://www.observertoday.com/obituaries/2018/05/randall-l-fuller/

PHOENIX — Randy Fuller was born Sept. 15, 1946 and passed into heaven on May 8, 2018 at his home in Phoenix, Arizona. He was born in Westfield, NY to Lester and Jean Fuller.

Randy joined the U.S. Army from March 1964 through September 1972, Korea first followed by three tours in Vietnam, where he became Platoon Sargent (Blackhourse 11TH Armored CAV Divison, B TRP) with three Purple Hearts, three Bronze Medals and Silver Star. He also has several other awards and became one of the most highly decorated soldiers and Hero’s in Chautauqua County, NY.

Randy was preceded in death by his parents and two Uncles Rollin Bennett and Bud Saxton.

He is survived by his wife and soulmate Beryl and children, who m he loved dearly: Rhonda, Alexis, Brandee and Kenneth of Phoenix and Kathy Weston of Pa. Brother David Fuller and nephew David Fuller of Westfield and Sister Linda Strada of West Virginia. He is also survived by several grandchildren, Dillon, London, Nikki, Cami, Zachary, Kristen, Kenneth, JJ, Tyelerr, Joesph, Joshua and Bennett of Phoenix and Allyssa and Erica of PA and three great-grandsons, Greyson, Jason and Mason.

His Memorial service and Military Burial will take place 2 p.m., May 26, 2018 at the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona, 23029 N Cave Creek Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85024. Donations may be given to Infinite Hero, Fast Jack Beckman, Nitro funny car for wounded soldiers, NHRA.

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

Your numbered Purple Heart looks like a very nice WW2 production example, which were the norm for awarding during the Vietnam War (all the way up through the beginning of the current GWOT, in fact).

The later engraved medals were probably done sometime after about 2010 or so, as a rough estimate. They may have been sent to the family by request for his funeral in 2018, as that's a current US government engraving style for replacement awards.

SFTROOPER86

Greetings,

Thank you to all who responded to this post and to those who posted additional information about his past. Randy was a dear friend of mine and I was honored when he gave me all of his military decorations, photos, and misc items to keep his memory alive. Randy fought cancer several times but continued to smoke Camel Unfiltered until the end!

We used to go our VFW meetings and gun shows together as well as hang out at our local American Legion Post here in Phoenix. He was a great guy, Veteran, and friend. I am not sure when he received the engraved medals but I received them in 2017 along with most of his other military items. Funny story.....the Purple Heart lapel pin is missing from his hospital issued PH. It was a custom to drop it into a glass of beer and as you drink it you are supposed to catch it with your teeth as you finish the drink. As Randy said, He missed it and ended up shitting it out in Vietnam. He left it where he got it and he considered that some form of poetic justice for him. A funny story none the less.

Rest in Peace my Brother & thanks again to all who answered this post,

Vince

post-6407-0-11507500-1556397160_thumb.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

Hi Vince,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the story of this hero on this forum. His deeds and commitment will be remembered.

John

SFTROOPER86

Thanks Big John,

It has been very informative being back on the forum. One cannot have too many knowledgable friends & I thank you all!

Semper Fi!

Vince

A great story about a great guy.

You had a good friend Vince. And now we all had a chance to read his story. Thank you.

RIP SSG Fuller. You did your duty and then some.

Herman

On 19 February 1971, the day SSgt Randall Fuller earned the Silver Star, the citation mentions that one member of his platoon was killed while SSgt Fuller and two other were seriously wounded. This is the soldier that was killed that day.

Source: Coffelt Database of Vietnam Casualties

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
SFTROOPER86

Thank you to everyone who added to this post! Great information and documented history.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Nice seeing you over here on this forum. Does this mean you are giving up medal bars? LOL!

Gary B

• 4 years later...

Screenshot_20231216_141707.jpg.dc098ac9601cb1e39c4421ee9c62b5d6.jpgScreenshot_20231216_141808.jpg.211233d74ef44ffcc63f0c575c629e08.jpg20231216_131952.jpg.cb7dd8bc462764f0953a56e9263855fe.jpg20231216_131930.jpg.f6856512e1d00e9b90af4088b29f36dc.jpg20231216_132105.jpg.978ef78f972883d2cfbfa6fc4b8f1f90.jpgMy wife's uncle died of wounds 3 days after and with his memorabilia are his Medals.

In the un-Numbered PH box is a small round pin I would call a lapel pin along with a small lapel bar pin that I do find.

Attached are images of pin.

There is no number on either medal box or on the Medals.

But mostly, the round purple pin(Lapel)? Is this pictured anywhere else?

Thanks, Gbro

20231216_132004.jpg