USMC Entrenching Hospital Corps knife, what to do?

tthen

Greetings all,

I recently acquired a square tip entrenching Hospital Corps knife with no sheath, knowing full well that the sheaths are somewhat harder to find than the knives themselves. I came across a sheath on ebay that had what I was sure was the wrong knife in it. The intension was to get the sheath and sell the knife. Now that I have it in my hands I'm not so sure. Sort of ?? The day after I received it the seller sent me the following email:

"I was told by my son that the doctor that owned that bolo you have was one of the doctors that treated Eddie Rickenbacker on the first island he was sent to. there is a book that lists his name. (boyde)?????boyle whatever. I am sure you can find info on the doctor. It. col... that doctor was also given eddies "order of Neptune certificate". I have my own also. I don't know where the paper is. my son knew the doctor because his daughter worked with my daughter-in-law, my sons wife..I don't have any other info but I am sure you can find info someplace. this is well documented. lots of luck."

I'm going to post some pictures of what I received, The end of the sheath showing the dents that the metal ring on the knife left and a comparison shot of the three knives I now have in my possession .

Thanks for any comments and suggestions

post-33759-0-77543200-1556311078.jpg

post-33759-0-69427100-1556311105.jpg

post-33759-0-29008300-1556311127.jpg

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

No Expert . LOOKS like the square tipped scabbard is not an alteration , but was the original configuration . IF SO it may be an earlier M 1910 (?) USMC E tool . Check out TRAZCAs website for military blades . Might be the real McCoy

I think I see your dilemma. If there is history with the new knife and sheath, it would be a shame to split them up. But at the same time you want to complete your original knife. Guess I'd try to verify the story somehow.

Good luck!

I agree with robinb. Since the set you received has some real provenance I'd leave it that way. Look for another scabbard. Also, at a minimum, I'd tag the set with as much info as you have concerning it's history. You can get shoe tags at any office supply store. I always put what an item is , or nomenclature. how much I paid, and date, what it's worth at that time, and any other relevant information. I do this so one of my kids doesn't sell some $1000 knife, for $5 at a yard sale. Good find, thanks for showing. SKIP

Frank Trzaska

Excellent find and it is a correct match. That is a somewhat elusive knife you found, the step between the Intrenching pattern and the Hospital Corps pattern. It is a very early piece and predates the leather sheath the later ones used. Super cool find.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Thanks everyone, I'll do as suggested and keep this set together and keep looking for another sheath. If I find anymore information on the original corpsman I will post here.

Thanks again