FB Hawley Navy Flag Painted Helmet

Pudgy (V)

I am possibly purchasing this fixed bail, Hawley liner helmet, and I can't seem to decipher what the painted signal flags mean. The three translate to Charlie, Juliet, and Sierra (CJS). However, I believe these three together have a meaning. I read through my research that there is a Navy WWII code book that may have the translation. Can anyone help with this? Does anyone know what the flag translation means?

Thanks

post-151853-0-90874900-1556062892_thumb.jpg

ships often used the flags to represent its initials. ie: USS CJS. My first ship had them painted on the side of the pilot house

Could be the sailor's initials. Watch out for sailors with paint brushes!

Most ships would probably use their 4 letter call sign instead of just ships name initials.

I did look into it being a call sign, it doesnt have 4 flags though. I know the first flag seems to always be a Nan (N), then follow by three flags. I always seem to come across the mysteries in this hobby. Lol!

I did look into it being a call sign, it doesnt have 4 flags though. I know the first flag seems to always be a Nan (N), then follow by three flags. I always seem to come across the mysteries in this hobby. Lol!

Thats what makes it interesting.

Marty

That is not a call sign. All call signs are 4 letters. USN and USCG start with N. This is a guys initials. I was a USN Signalman for 26 years. Taught by a WW2 Vet SM.

It is very interesting and addicting. Lol! It is frustrating when I can't figure something out though. Would have been nice to talk to the vet who wore it, then I would have been able to pass on its meaning and history. A lot of the helmets posted on here have names and paint that will never be known. History that can be touched, but the story is lost.

That is not a call sign. All call signs are 4 letters. USN and USCG start with N. This is a guys initials. I was a USN Signalman for 26 years. Taught by a WW2 Vet SM.

+1

mans initials

Sigsaye, is it possible the three flags together have one meaning? I read they did that in WWII.

. From what I can remember of the WW2 Signal book, and the International Code of Signals from that era ( had copies of both), no. 3 letter signals were not part of any signal book I recall. Its a guys initials. Very commonly done.