WWII cold weather head gear

hawkdriver

Today, while rummaging a antique store, I came across this cap. The first question, what is the nomenclature of this hat?

2upbc0h.jpg

w2i061.jpg

2efmdyd.jpg

The second question. Someone posted a load listing for a soldier in D-Day, Operation Overlord, if I remember right. There, the soldier would be issued a: Hood, wool, protective. Is this what they were talking about?

Also, the guy that had this hat, had a second one that was a blue green color, had the exact same tag inside, except the contract number differed in that this hat's contract number is W-669-qm-12487. The blue green hat's contract number is W-699-qm-CIV-B anyone have a clue what the blue green hat would be? The two hats are exctly the same, I almost thought that someone dyed one, but the tag was perfectly white, so it was made that way.

If that is the case, then what is a Hood, wool, protective? Also, any ideas what the blue green one that says CIV-B in the contract number is?

I just read that the CIV meant it was for the Civilian Conservation Corps.

dogfacedsoldier

This is the cap that they said resembled the German M43 cap, so they stopped issueing and it was replaced by the M43 cotton field cap. I've seen these hats in different shades of green, I mean they varied a lot. Most found are mint, and when I first started collecting they were really expensive, but that ended suddenly. I was told they found a huge amount of the caps mint in a warehouse. This was in the early 80's. It was used by the CCC, and is similar to a cap used by the Army in WWI, the Winter cap M1907. Most of these I've seen have early dates.

Jon

It's funny you should say that as the first of these two hats that I saw was the blue/green one and that is exactly what I asked the guy, "Is that German?"

I believe the wool hood is the one issued with the gasmask for chemical protection.I have several and they all have a chemical treatment to them.They feel tacky to the touch.I see these hoods worn more as a cold weather item under the helmet.THere is a well published photo of a 17th Abn trooper wearing one during the battle of the Buldge.

RON

Johan Willaert

The official Nomenclature from the QM Catalog of the cap shown in post 1 is:

Cap, Winter, OD

It was replaced in 1943 with the Pile Cap.

The Winter Caps saw use early in WW2 during training all over the US.

They were hardly used overseas.

You can see them on these two GI's of the 110 Field Artillery / 29ID during Training in 1942

fd6a.jpg

JOhan

craig_pickrall

Hawkdriver here is your early Christmas present. I have wanted to do a cold weather head gear thread for some time and this gave me the push I needed. I changed the name of the thread to cover all WW2 cold weather head gear, hope you don't mind. If so let me know and I will fix it. Hopefully others will join in and add their cold weather head gear too.

craig_pickrall

Cap, Winter

This is the cap you started the thread with and I am adding additional dates plus the blue / green version made for the CCC.

post-5-1230143152.jpg

post-5-1230143158.jpg

post-5-1230143163.jpg

post-5-1230143167.jpg

post-5-1230143172.jpg

craig_pickrall

Muffs, Ears

This has no label and may be one of the items knitted by civilian organizations and donated to the GI's.

post-5-1230143408.jpg

craig_pickrall

Hood, Wool, OD, Special (also called Protective)

This is the gas hood but was also used for cold weather protection.

post-5-1230143581.jpg

post-5-1230143587.jpg

post-5-1230143593.jpg

post-5-1230143598.jpg

post-5-1230143604.jpg

craig_pickrall

Toque, Wool Knit

Introduced in 1941 and replaced in 1943 with the pile field cap. There are no labels in this example except for the owners name.

post-5-1230143778.jpg

post-5-1230143783.jpg

post-5-1230143788.jpg

craig_pickrall

Chamois face Mask

I have only looked in GI Collector's Guide vol 1 for an ID on this piece. I may have something on it in another source but do not have time to search for it at the moment. The label is washed out and I have no other info.

post-5-1230144113.jpg

post-5-1230144118.jpg

post-5-1230144124.jpg

post-5-1230144128.jpg

I believe the wool hood is the one issued with the gasmask for chemical protection.I have several and they all have a chemical treatment to them.They feel tacky to the touch.I see these hoods worn more as a cold weather item under the helmet.THere is a well published photo of a 17th Abn trooper wearing one during the battle of the Buldge.

RON

yes indeed--- they were used in the battle of the bulge alot. seems that the warm clothing was a bit short handed and the guys jumped on anything they could get. they stunk from the chem. treatment but, very warm. many that you find are excel. to unissued mint.

No problems, I am glad you did this! It answers some of the other questions I was going to ask. As for the hood, wool, protective, I have never seen one before, are they hard to come by? Here is the cut out from that packing list I was referencing.

TABLE 8 – EQUIPMENT OF ASSAULT TROOPS FOR NEPTUNE (D-DAY TO D+44) <EXCEPTED FROM: OPERATION OVERLORD, FIRST US ARMY PLAN, NEPTUNE, ANNEX 7, 25 FEB 44>

Items worn on Individual

1 Belt, web, waist

1 Drawers, wool

1 Gloves, cotton, protective*

2 Handkerchiefs

1 Helmet, steel, w/liner

1 Hood, wool, protective*

1 Jacket, field or jacket, combat, winter

1 Leggings, canvas, protective

1 Shoes, service, pair

1 Socks, wool, protective

1 Trousers, wool, protective

1, Undershirt, wool

Hood, Cloth

This is the hood intended for use with the wool toque above.

post-5-1230143893.jpg

post-5-1230143898.jpg

post-5-1230143903.jpg

as always craig--- nice items.

in post 19, the cloth hood, was'nt that intended to be worn with the m-41 field jacket?

craig_pickrall

Hawkdriver, I have no idea on availablity of those hoods today. I have been collecting for close to 35 years now and when I got most of this stuff it was cheap surplus.

Costa, the cloth hood could be used in several configurations I'm sure. The wool toque isn't water repellent but this hood is so I can understand mating the two together.

Johan Willaert
Cap, Wool Knit commonly called a stocking cap. This looks like a 1942 USAAF contract.

post-5-1230143287.jpg

post-5-1230143293.jpg

That is the: Cap, Mechanic’s, Winter, Type A4 an USAAF items as shown their 1943 catalog. You see some of these used by US AB troops in Normandy on D-Day...