Boy that was a stupid move

Hired_gun

I recently bought a WW2 USMC helmet with a Hawley liner.

Well my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see the steel lid so I removed the Hawley liner, satisfied my curiosity, and the tried to put it back together. The problem is I can not get the Liner to sit fully in the helmet like it was.

Any suggestions/solutions

You will have to get the folds exactly as they were before. But I hope you are prepared to display the helmet separately

I would leave it as-is, and not try jamming it back together. It is tempting, but those Hawleys are brittle - in surprising ways.

Whats the magic word...?

Lol, amazing how manners get sacrificed for brevity.

As for the helmet/liner fit, I do not understand why it wouldn't fit like it did before unless it is slightly turned causing a misfit. It should slip easily back to it's original position.

I would leave it as-is, and not try jamming it back together. It is tempting, but those Hawleys are brittle - in surprising ways.

Funny you mention that Blacksmith, I was at antic and collectables shop the other day and a customer in front of me asked to have a look at a nice looking M1 with Hawley liner in it. The seller was really open about it, let the customer handle the helmet and take pictures. The customer was to my surprise cautious with it.

Just as he was going to say "I'll take it", the seller took the helmet stating that the lid and liner had been together since the war and tried to get the liner out to show the rust stains... poor liner just ripped on 2-3 inches and a suspension (early pattern for the purpose of the story) washer just snapped away from the cardboard...

I felt bad for the buyer who just couldn't believe what he saw!

If the liner's in an early helmet with fixed chin strap loops, you'll have to put some pressure on the cardboard no matter what. The trick is to put the liner back in about halfway at a slight angle and to exert just the right amount of pressure to get one side to cross the loops. This is a very delicate process and not for the faint of heart. I once managed to do it after wanting to see the liner's outer side but I'm not extracting the liner a second time, that's for sure. Please tread carefully should you attempt to reinsert the liner, patience is key.

Pressure + Hawley = Bad Idea.

Again, my vote, if it doesnt slide effortlessly into the shell, dont force it.

Agreed, if the OP was able to get it out, it should go back in with minimal effort.