Italian Flag

Ant1942

Hey everyone, wanted to show off this flag I got from a friend a few weeks ago, who bought it from the daughter of a vet who passed away. She apparently did not want to give away his name or like a picture or anything unfortunately but nevertheless, it is a neat piece. She said her father lost or misplaced most of his war stuff and the flag was a surprise to her as she found it in a small trunk in her fathers house whilst cleaning it out. It really is a neat piece and I am definitely happy with it, just wish she could have felt comfortable enough sharing her fathers name/story which could give the flag a cooler/unique story of how it was captured. Its pretty big and I need to frame it, just need to find a frame big enough and not too crazily expensive. Anyhow enjoy and feel free to leave a comment

post-178778-0-52554600-1555981969.jpg

Please remember...the object of Spoils of War is to share the Veterans story and relationship of the featured item

Please remember...the object of Spoils of War is to share the Veterans story and relationship of the featured item

Oh I totally get that and sorry I dont have a vet name, only the daughters. I did give her my contact info if she decided to reach out about her fathers service so heres hoping for that. I can take the post down if needed if you think I should

Oh I totally get that and sorry I dont have a vet name, only the daughters. I did give her my contact info if she decided to reach out about her fathers service so heres hoping for that. I can take the post down if needed if you think I should

No...we'll leave but for future reference for us all.Thanks.

Thanks for the post Tarbridge and thanks for being understanding about it, for the future I’ll make sure there’s more concrete evidence. As for the owners identity I’ll definitely keep everyone informed if something breaks, the daughter is out in Saginaw MI so I’ll see if that can slowly but surely find an identity

Should be pretty easy to find, either research recent obituaries from the area that list her name in them or search for info on her and dig up her surname and you will easily be able to find what you are looking for! If you have an address or phone number for the daughter you can research via that also! Should be easy to dig up with the info you have! Best of luck

Or, one could just respect her decision and privacy, and enjoy the flag for what it is.

I just think we gotta be careful with stuff like this, as a community.

For whatever reason, she did not want to be identified. Why grind this stuff out? I’ve seen this turn bad with family drama, when one sibling disagrees with how a brother / sister handled their Dad’s stuff.

Or, one could just respect her decision and privacy, and enjoy the flag for what it is.

I just think we gotta be careful with stuff like this, as a community.

For whatever reason, she did not want to be identified. Why grind this stuff out? I’ve seen this turn bad with family drama, when one sibling disagrees with how a brother / sister handled their Dad’s stuff.

I agree with you in every respect, like maybe she thought that people would call her or hound her about possibly finding more of her fathers stuff and that is understandable in wanting to remain private for various reasons, but its a shame she didn't want to give any info whatsoever about her father like when he was born, when he went in the military, how long he served and if she knew about where he was in Italy etc. As stated before I had the picker whom I got it from to pass my contact info along and if she ever wants to speak on the phone or email, hopefully we can have an ID. There is writing on it by the way and its really faded, but I can make it out somewhat and it says "The Vultures" I think, dont know what that means.

I think what you did is very respectful.

We, as collectors, sometimes get a ghoulish reputation, doing stuff like scanning obits, fudging facts - like asking for donations to our non-existent museum, etc.

Personally, I think honoring the family’s wishes is best, even if it doesn’t give you what you want. After all, it is their dad, uncle, brother, etc.

I think what you did is very respectful.

We, as collectors, sometimes get a ghoulish reputation, doing stuff like scanning obits, fudging facts - like asking for donations to our non-existent museum, etc.

Personally, I think honoring the family’s wishes is best, even if it doesn’t give you what you want. After all, it is their dad, uncle, brother, etc.

That's true, at least (how I look at it) I feel like I am preserving a piece that the vet kept for 70+ years so in some ways whoever he is, his memory in a way is still preserved which is definitely the ultimate goal of collecting. I do agree collectors can be seen as drabs/ghouls as we do tend to try and do research on dead people and try to identity artifacts we collect and therefore, some see us as grave robbers or immoral and odd artifact pickers which for a majority/all of us is not the case.