WWII ? N.S. Meyer 3" Pilot Wings

mds308

I thought that the raised mark with the smaller shied was late 1940s-early 1950s. I hope I'm wrong. I scored these today and although they are not marked Sterling, they most certainly are sterling. The pin does not extent past 80 degrees. Are these WWII? Thanks.

post-165739-0-47312300-1555886648_thumb.jpg

post-165739-0-67380800-1555886664.jpg

The Rooster

Greetings,

I'l take a shot at these...

Im going to say I think they are vintage real (Not Restrikes) and maybe Sterling but more likely Sterling plated Brass.

I would think if they were Sterling, they would be marked as such. But you never know... of course if there are spots of verdgris green.

which kinda looks like you have some there... Id lean toward Plated brass.

The experts can check me on that. If you have a shot of the back with the pin closed include that so every one can see the cam.

Looks good to go! Nice wing!

Maybe they are pre war??? or ww2 thru Korea as the wings were often reused.....

Authorities will weigh in...

I guess I shouldn't have insisted they were silver before I knew what I was talking about. Yes, I see the verdigris. I have no idea how I missed that. Maybe it was the lack of sleep I had. I appreciate the help. Here are some other pictures. Thanks rooster77.

The Rooster

Its a good wing. Don't think that just because its silver plated brass that its worth any less. Its a real meyer. That little protrusion

at the end of the pin is what keeps it from opening 180 and its not present on restrikes.

I don't know for sure but it might be pre war as I think brass was needed for war production. And during the 30's

I think silver was too expensive for wings????

These guys on here…. someone knows better than me… for sure

But its a keeper! Nice wing.

Rooster.

The wing is fine but in my opinion this is a late WW2 to Korean era wing. You often see this version of the Meyer Pelican Beak wing marked as 9M and as we all know the 9M marking didn't come into use until well after WW2. Meyer had two distinct Pelican Beak pattern wings. There's the more traditional version that is displayed in this thread and then there's this version http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/pilot/meyeraafpilot.shtml which I've always considered WW2 era. Obviously could have been issued/used in Korea as well. The Pelican Beak in the link is unique because it has a small upward peak in the center of the line that forms the pelican's beak. The only other company to use that I'm aware of is Gemsco with a late/post war badge that is a very oversized badge but cool in its own right. Here's an air crew version of what I'm talking about with the Gemsco badge - http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/aircrew/gemscopatternaafcrew.shtml AMICO, LGB, etc all use the type of normal curved line as displayed in the Meyer wing on this thread.

You have a perfectly legitimate 3rd Pattern Meyer Pilot Wing Badge.

To me, this wing has always been a stretch to call WWII.

As Bob said, the higher pelican beak style (2nd Pattern) and pre WWII style (1st Pattern) are largely seen throughout that period.

Granted, they didn't change on the last day of WWII...but I have never seen a solid biographical, 3rd Pattern Meyer placed in WWII.

I my opinion, it is post WWII-1950's and pre alpha numeric.

I have one that is engraved and dated 1954 in my collection.

Very nice wing and glad you found it.

Hope that helps, John

Hi John,

In my first post I was wrong about the silver content but I was correct about it being late 1940s into the 1950s. This wing came from the estate of a WWII Naval Officer and nobody knew why he had it. He never flew and was never in the Army Air Corps. Probably something he picked up during his time in life.

Thanks to all my posters.