WW2 Camo Set

Ricardo

Looks great! Now you have to find a few pieces of equipment to complete him. Like the knife mentioned and maybe a grenade hanging on his suspender D ring. Also maybe a M1 carbine with grenade launcher to go with the rifle grenade pouch he wearing and mag pouch to go on his pistol belt. But you really don't have to add anymore if don't want as he looks great as he stands, Ray

Looks great! Now you have to find a few pieces of equipment to complete him. Like the knife mentioned and maybe a grenade hanging on his suspender D ring. Also maybe a M1 carbine with grenade launcher to go with the rifle grenade pouch he wearing and mag pouch to go on his pistol belt. But you really don't have to add anymore if don't want as he looks great as he stands, Ray

Hi Ray,

Thank you Mate!! thumbsup.gif

Please, it´s good for this set?

ofinffaca2yy4.jpg

ofinffaca3xl0.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

I would go for an M3 knife with an M6 or M8/M8A1 scabbard, because the M4 bayonet for the carbine was issued only very late in WWII as a fighting knife.

Greetz ;)

David

I would go for an M3 knife with an M6 or M8/M8A1 scabbard, because the M4 bayonet for the carbine was issued only very late in WWII as a fighting knife.

Greetz ;)

David

Thanks!! thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Ricardo.

• 3 months later...

Hi!, I did not see this thread at the good time.

I'm just putting that one. It's from "Combat reels", 2nd infantry division, when the division capured HILL 192 east of St Lo. Looks like the 2nd Inf Div got some camo before the 2nd Armored ;) !

6hclgk6.jpg

Yannick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bryan

Here is my small contribution to that post: The first photo is the famous taken at Brest showing one of the soldiers from 3/23rd Rgt wearing HBT camo. The photo was taken Rue Duchesse Anne in sept 44. I took the actual photo in the 90's while I was student at Brest. the place did not change too much since 44.

4r9369w.jpg

4l7r9rs.jpg

Now is shown a part of a camo trouser that was found in an attic at Cerisy in 1995. Cerisy is situated just north-East of Hill 192 near St Lo, a 2nd inf div area. A friend of mine has exactly the same "man made" bag found in the same attic, but at a different period of finding. According to the farmer, he cut the pant to make two bags to carry some graines for plantations (don't know if "graine" is also an english word but I try as I have no dictionary here at work ;) !). After the war, farmers had realy nothing to care about future collectors interests! But the main interest here is to find that kind of stuff in the 2nd infantry division battle area...

63mp4bt.jpg

6fyt0tu.jpg

54nrt7d.jpg

4uwte05.jpg

Yannick

• 1 year later...

I like my cammo a bit darker but it is moving in the right direction .

I find using really beat up pieces must be used in context to the item being issued .

For Normandy a set would be pretty fresh and full of life .

This one is pretty hashed .

Even after a weeks worth of combat it would still look a bit less washed .

But please I am not having a go , it is something always worth thinking about when putting am impression together .

If you were doing a Marine in 1943 it would be fine to have a beat up cammo set on him , get it ?

A years worth of issue can murder a cammo set .

Not a couple of weeks worth .

The 2 piece Army set is becoming real hard to find so any examples are worth holding on to , yours has seen tons of action .

If it were mine I would be thinking French Indo china 1951 paratrooper .

but that is just me

owen

I agree with Owen 100percent on this.

It is something to keep in mind when making a display.

Thanks for bringing it up Owen

Johan Willaert

Exactly why I spent years to get an unissued jacket to go with the same pants....

Yes, the sets worn in Normandy would have been pretty new-looking even after a week or two in the field...

JOhan

There has been mention in this thread of the lack of official records stating the problems with mistaken identity encountered by our soldiers using the 2-piece jungle suit in Europe. A camouflage collector in the Northeast (first name Mark, can't recall his last- I helped him secure a killer British-made U.S. camo suit) told me he had a visit with a veteran of one of the Engineer Battalions who were issued these suits early on. The man said that he and his buddies loved the suits, and used them for some time, until their C.O. came to them personally and ordered them to de-'flage...the only reason, the officer said, was problems with friendly fire. This should be a fair supplement the earlier post about the wounded G.I. being mistaken for a German.. :think:

Johan Willaert

This is the only picture I know of the one piece Jungle Suit in the ETO.

British Soldiers capture an SS trooper in Normandy. Staged or not??? Who knows but where would an actual German have found a HBT suit???

HBTCamoPOW.jpg

That is one cheeky German if it is not staged .

Maybee a training shot to prove the cammo point of mixing up various patterns ?

I have seen a After the Battle shot on D-day +20ish showing a Harley rider wearing a 1 piece .

Let me dig it out .

The above is a great shot I have NEVER seen before .

Thanks for posting .

owen

• 8 months later...
British Soldiers capture an SS trooper in Normandy. Staged or not??? Who knows but where would an actual German have found a HBT suit???

HBTCamoPOW.jpg

Here are a few more images from the same series of photographs. One French author has put forth that this was a "staged" set of photographs during a British Army sniper training course [possibly in England somewhere]. Note the Mk.III "Stench"-gun is missing it's stock!

sniper12.jpg

sniper13.jpg

sniper14.jpg

sniper15.jpg

Johan Willaert
I have seen a After the Battle shot on D-day +20ish showing a Harley rider wearing a 1 piece .

Let me dig it out .

If you mean this one, I believe it's a two piece as the rider belongs to the 2AD which was issued 2 piece sets then...

HBTCamoWLA.jpg

Full caption halfway on this page of my website:

http://www.theliberator.be/liberator3.htm

Cheers,

Johan

Great picture .

I believe this picture was used in a issue of After The Battle many years ago .

Any shots of the 2 piece suit being worn?

So the sniper pix are training shots ???

A nice end to a long and weird winding question in the back of my head .

owen

After some research on the army camo set in the ETO I made a mannequin recently.

I just found this topic on the subject and would like to share my representation of the 2nd Armored Division’s 41st Infantry Battalion.

post-2109-1268404072.jpg post-2109-1268403617.jpg

Steven