Odd White Cavalry Gauntlets

Doodlebewi

I picked up this pair with 3 other different pairs of gauntlets one Indian ones on civil war. I believe this one to be Indian wars? I was checking a couple books didnt match anything. Perhaps these are private purchased?

post-160151-0-81341100-1555809801.jpg

post-160151-0-15785900-1555809811.jpg

I forgot about that place.

Picked these up more southward, far as I know these were in storage since 98. Did they advertise them as Indian wars?

I did find another pair that was brown. I suspect they're span am.

• 4 weeks later...
BlueBookGuy

hello,

please can you provide some pics of them inside the wristlet? As for these items when officially provided by the government I've got one pair originals of either the Pattern 1884 and 1886, and some precise details must strictly show up.

Will post shortly some pics of them. Franco.

BlueBookGuy

I'm not aware of (very) possible Riding Gauntlets being private purchase but sure they existed. If speaking of the Government-issues ones, there were only two patterns - the much short-lived P. 1884, and the P. 1886. These latter having gone on in contracts up to the early '900s.

To have some references, my two pairs here. A rare Pattern 1884 (with longer wristlets) and a Pattern 1886. The former shouldn't date post-autumn 1886, the latter could likely come from mid-1890s. Style of decorative stitching is always the same for the P. 1886 through the years, being itself different from the style of 1884.

Interior of wristlet is always in thin brown leather.

Yours could likely be privately obtained. Hope this helps.

post-151851-0-60251300-1557869980_thumb.jpg

Some nice examples of gauntlets, with regards to the first pair posted they certainly look to be a pair that could be purchased by an officer as field officers were authorized to wear white gauntlets, a nice example of a possible private purchase pair.

Franco, thanks for posting some other great examples of gauntlets, although the 1884 Pattern were made of goatskin and have a smaller quite distinctive stitch pattern that differs to later patterns. Shortly after the pattern was adopted they discovered the silk thread reacted to the goatskin causing the stitching to rot, in 1886 a change was made to using silk and linen thread but the goatskin caused the same reaction to the linen stitching.

I have attached a photo of a well used pair of pattern 1884's in keeping with the complaints of the time some of the stitching has rotted in a few places.

For much more indepth details I recommend "Uniforms, Arms and Equipment, The U.S Army on the Frontier 1880-1892." By The late great Douglas McChristian.

Kurt.

post-693-0-22916000-1558032646_thumb.jpg

post-693-0-95744000-1558032660_thumb.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Thanks Kurt for appreciating,

your pair is very appealing too!!!, I like their evenly distributed yellowish hue. In my opinion since there isn't evidence of dark staining and/or any spots of dirt in the palm area, could be they have been just badly stored who knows where, rather than actually used?

Will see to get that book you mention, I've got some others books by Mc Christian. Here a link to a website where an incredibly nice pair of P- 1886 in brand-new condition is described, they had been subsequently sold.

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.com/07_uniform_hats/07_item_115.htm

Thanx !! Franco.

Hi Franco

Those in the link are a very nice example of the later change to buckskin. Just in case you have not seen it World War One Nerd done some great work on WW1 gloves and gauntlets, included in that he shows gauntlets and the spec changes for them.

Here is a link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/274676-aef-gloves-gauntlets-mittens-1917-to-1919/

Just for reference I should add the gauntlets in the photo I posted are slightly lighter in colour than they appear in the photo.

The two Volume work by McChristian is well worth having. Volume one covers, Clothing, Headgear and Footwear. Volume two covers Weapons and Accoutrements.

Kurt.