National Battle Pins

skypilot6670

Wartime badges purchased by the troops to show their service. With a tiny photo of their Comanding General and battles and dates listed around the rim. A very rare one is included, Gen. Fritz John Porter whitch was made before he was court martialed (Nov.62) and relieved from duty. Another has Gen. Meades photo with Shermans Battles listed (an error) These little gems are out there but rarely seen , a few have been dug and are shown in dug relic books but the photos dont survive well in the dirt. post-137056-0-05121700-1555771921_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-24399800-1555771938_thumb.jpeg

skypilot6670

Thanks for the kind words. The generals are top row , left to right Gen.Rosecrans and Meade. Bottom row. Gen. Porter , Gen.Hooker and Gen. Burnside. Thanks again , Mike

These are new to me and quite interesting. I didn't realize soldiers bought these back in that time period to basically award them to themselves. The practice continues today with various "Cold War" medals that are available. Since the DoD never got around to issuing one to the participants from the 1950's to the 1980's, commercial vendors have stepped in with a ready version.

M24 Chaffee

Those are unique and cool! I wasn’t aware of these type of pins. Thanks for posting them!

Frank

skypilot6670

Thanks Frank and gwb123 , they are rare to begin with , not many purchased by the soldiers.Corps badges and I.D. Disc were much more popular judging from the amount dug. I like them and try to purchase all I see.I know of at least 11 different ones that were advertised in Leslies Weekly illustrated newspaper. So the fun of the hunt continues. Thanks again. Mike

Thanks Frank and gwb123 , they are rare to begin with , not many purchased by the soldiers.Corps badges and I.D. Disc were much more popular judging from the amount dug. I like them and try to purchase all I see.I know of at least 11 different ones that were advertised in Leslies Weekly illustrated newspaper. So the fun of the hunt continues. Thanks again. Mike

When you have the time, I'd like to see one of the Leslies advertisements for these.

Thanks.

Scott

skypilot6670

Hey Scott All I have is Harpers Weekly November 14 1863 , I may have miss spoke when I said Leslies i dont have any Period Leslies but expect they were advertised there as well. Mikepost-137056-0-52430600-1556060594.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Had a great show at Gettysburg last month.Added this Burnside to my Battle Badge group. This is my second Burnside it was pricey but its in excellent shapepost-137056-0-94315200-1573658494_thumb.jpeg

NIce addition to your collection.

Forgot to thank you for posting the period documentation. I would have thought these were a post war creation, had I seen one at a show-- thanks for the education.

Scott