FS/SB Full Colonel M1 Helmet

Catfishcraig

Jim McCauley

Are all officers crazy about their insignia?

When my brother in law became a Colonel I gave him a pair of WW2 sterling shoulder rank  insignia as a gift thinking he would wear them.

Nope, they weren't regulation someone would spot them on his uniform and call him out.

Really?

That's a very cool helmet.

Not all officers are crazy about their insignia. I’ve been wearing Army Air Corp branch on my dress uniform for 33 years now. I’m Army Aviation branch.

In 33 years I’ve only had two people ask if I was wearing Air Corp branch. Granted, they are very close in appearance.

Best regards.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in Wwii the uniform reg was AR600-40 and if not found there I expect the officers guide of that period would identify how the ranks are worn. The current Army uniform is worn in accordance with DA Pam 670-1. Manay, I believe the rank was the same size for Army from WWIi until now but until the 50s I believe the left eagle was not a mirror of the right eagle and it faced the arrows (war eagle). War eagles were banned I believe in 1951ish or so, so maybe thats why he indicated it was not authorized. I think some of the makers have run a few batches since then at request of some of the officers. Regardless, the eagles are always worn facing the correct direction. I knew officers including myself that wore hand me down brass and rank from WWIi on but even though it may have looked different (war eagles) it was worn properly. Air Force and Army are the same but Navy/USMC rank is different. I dont think it was just an officer thing. I expect that you wouldnt find many senior NCOs wearing their uniform wrong either.

Most likely Navy Captain or Marine Colonel. I believe they still wear their cap Insignia opposite of the Army but that may have changed. Last one looks like an early liner.

• 2 months later...
Catfishcraig

Most likely Navy Captain or Marine Colonel. I believe they still wear their cap Insignia opposite of the Army but that may have changed. Last one looks like an early liner.

Maybe it is a Marine Colonel helmet. I ran across this picture of Col. Chesty Puller and the bird on his cap appears to be facing to the left.

Craig

post-12393-0-92539100-1564031214_thumb.jpeg

post-12393-0-79822600-1564031224.jpeg

I think your helmet is fine - don't get too wrapped around the axle about which way the eagle faces. I've seen plenty of senior officers with things wrong with their uniforms. Some have been posted on this forum, including other examples of eagles facing the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...
Burning Hazard

Pretty cool footage pic that I came across of a Colonel eagle facing right; can't tell which side is arrows though.

post-8715-0-46931900-1565099481_thumb.jpg