Recreation of Family Member's Uniform - Tail Gunner WIA in PTO

Peyton_Aukland41

Peyton_Aukland41

This uniform is my recreation of the uniform my Grandfather would've owned after returning from the PTO as a tail-gunner apart of Bombing Squadron 305.

Aviation-Machinist Mate 3rd Class James Allen Fry enlisted in the United States Navy on October 25th, 1941, just a few months before the attack on Pearl Harbor. He went through training at Naval training and Air stations in Seattle, San Diego, and Norman Oklahoma. After training Fry was transferred to Carrier Air Service Units 22 and 23 in preparation for deployment into the Pacific.

Fry was deployed to Rabaul Island in the Pacific apart of Navy Bombing Squadron 305 which was only active in 1944. Grandpa flew 4 total missions in his time apart of VB-305 and was Wounded in Action on the 4th mission. His first two missions were flown as a tail gunner of an SBD dive bomber piloted by Lt. Commander Robert S Rice in aircraft, Call Numbers 5 and 17, on April 6th and 8th.

On his 3rd mission, he flew with Ensign Charles S Brittain on April 10th and on the said mission they reported damaging hits on buildings.

The next day, April 11th, 1944, Fry’s war in the Pacific would come to a close. His flight with ensign Garland McGehee was never supposed to occur, however, after a plane on the mission suffered mechanical issues, their plane took off as a replacement and became plane number 60 on the mission. While attacking gun positions east of Simpson Harbor Fry’s plane was hit on the right side by a 40MM Japanese Anti-Aircraft round. The explosion threw shrapnel through his legs and arms and their plane immediately turned around and limped back to base.

After landing he was placed in the naval hospital on the island and then the next day April 12th, 1944 was transferred to US Naval Hospital #8. Grandpa spent a few months in the hospital and returned to his wife, Arlis, and infant son, Dan, on August 2nd, 1944.

Thank you for your service, Grandpa.

Sadly the Pilot of Grandpa’s last mission would be later be shot down and killed. Garland S McGehee was shot down apart of Air Group 80 on the USS Ticonderoga. McGehee was forced to make a water landing and cracked his skull on the gunsight. He was recovered in his plane by a rescue destroyer on January 11th, 1945.

Robert S Rice went on to have a Length Naval Career and reached the rank of Lieutenant Commander and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.

Charles S. Britain went on to fly with VB-80 and was a Divebomber pilot on the SBD’s replacement the SB2C Helldiver.

(Huge shoutout to forum member "kaustauffer" for sharing Robert S Rice's grouping with me and forum Member "Dustin" for his research to find flight logs from my Grandfather's Squadron).

post-176066-0-51338500-1555626901_thumb.jpg

post-176066-0-98698400-1555626916_thumb.jpg

post-176066-0-09173000-1555626932_thumb.jpg

post-176066-0-22685300-1555626952_thumb.jpg

post-176066-0-27858500-1555626959_thumb.jpg

Good job.

As a Aerial Gunner, would he not have the Navy and Marine Corps' Combat Aircrewman Badge as well?

post-105-1212884379.jpg

. Yes.

Peyton_Aukland41

Thank you all for the kind words. I wasn't aware of the Navy and Marine Corps' aircrewman badge until seeing this but ill definitely be on the lookout for one. Thanks again!

Skysoldier80

Great job. Did you use photos to recreate it? I had to do the same for a couple of my relatives who wanted me to recreate their Father's or Grandfather's uniform from WII service since my fam knows that I collect. Still in the process of completing two more.

Keep everything original and it really makes it come to life. Check ebay, I saw a USN/USMC Combat Aircrew wings on there.

Peyton_Aukland41

I actually recreated it based on his discharge papers and medals I knew he was owed. I don’t believe he ever received all medals he was owed and he never wore his uniform after leaving the navy. He was very reserved and never talked about his experiences so I doubt he ever wore anything except for his PH sometimes. I’ll definitely check eBay. Thanks!

Skysoldier80

I am going through the same issue right now with a uniform recreation. I even made a similar post like yours on this forum.

I actually recreated it based on his discharge papers and medals I knew he was owed. I don’t believe he ever received all medals he was owed and he never wore his uniform after leaving the navy. He was very reserved and never talked about his experiences so I doubt he ever wore anything except for his PH sometimes. I’ll definitely check eBay. Thanks!

Yes. he'll probably and correctly want a Original WWII period one, so here's a topic for reference of the WWII period ones.

Not necessarily. Original adversus reproduction is a hotly debated topic among reenactors. If you are trying to recreate the uniform as it appeared in WWII, reproduction would be best. If you want it to look vintage, go original.