WW1 USMC Engraved Silver Star mounted group, 2nd Div. Belleau Wood AEF

aerialbridge

Nice group! Since the GCM is numbered, it would not be officially engraved, but that doesn't mean the Marine couldn't have gone out and had it done himself.

If it was engraved, the seller probably would have shown a photo.

Kurt

I assumed the GCM wasn't engraved as the seller seemed to know what they were doing and I assume would have shown a photo since they showed photos of the engraving on all the other medals.

It was a pretty cool group, for sure.

As an aside, does anyone have a feel for the price on it? Obviously it sold for the BIN, but I was trying to figure out if it were a reasonable deal or not. It's not what I collect, but I thought a Silver Star to a Marine for Belleau Wood was probably worth at least $2k. If there was a Purple Heart, I'd say the group would fall into a "good deal" category at $3k...but I couldn't put a total price it as it stands now as I don't know the value of the other medals in the group as part of the group.

Any thoughts from others more savvy on these?

• 2 weeks later...

Given he obtained every other possible medal (i.e., all the French schlock), I wonder why he didn't bother to get a 2nd Division Medal?

The more and more I collect associated WWI groups the more it becomes clear that regarding price, provenance and the associated acts of valor/engagement/unit really do drive the value. Yes original attributed SSs or PHs or DSCs have a relative value, but when you are dealing with one of a kind groups connected to a specific soldier in a desirable unit with acts of valor to a desirable engagement, the price can be just about anywhere north of what you might expect. It's more or less gloves off. Sure there is an upper limit, but on groups like this when you realize how fast it was snapped up that tells you the price could have gone higher between a handful of motivated buyers.

aerialbridge

The more and more I collect associated WWI groups the more it becomes clear that regarding price, provenance and the associated acts of valor/engagement/unit really do drive the value. Yes original attributed SSs or PHs or DSCs have a relative value, but when you are dealing with one of a kind groups connected to a specific soldier in a desirable unit with acts of valor to a desirable engagement, the price can be just about anywhere north of what you might expect. It's more or less gloves off. Sure there is an upper limit, but on groups like this when you realize how fast it was snapped up that tells you the price could have gone higher between a handful of motivated buyers.

I agree. For attributed medals, the individual's service history impacts the price in a competitive sale. It comes down to knowledge is power in potentially getting a great deal where not all bidders are aware of the value added by the service history.

French Sam

I bet we know who bought it !

Kurt

Hello,

I would like to thank the seller for this beautiful set that comes in my collection... not far from Belleau Wood !

I am very attentive to the preservation of the Marine heritage especially regarding the Belleau Wood fights...

I do not want to talk about the price... I can just tell you that I will have a special thought for William Parry, and for many others, during the coming months of June !

Thanks again to the seller for his trust !

Best regards,

Loïc.