77 years ago today (April 18, 1942)

Eric Queen

The portraits taken that day were published in (among other things) a 1942 comic book called "The Romance of Flying"

HP 92 x.jpg

June 29, 1942

He wires his parents to let them know he is on his way home and will be arriving by train tonight.

JUN 29.jpg

On the same day he arrives home, the Audio-Scriptions company sends him a letter letting him know he can buy a recording (record) of the Bolling Field awards (only his part/interview)

$3.50 for a record at that time was probably quite expense.

HP 86 x.jpg

July 1, 1942

A couple of days after returning home he meets the governor of South Dakota.

HP 45 x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

I would like to echo Allan's sentiments! This grouping (as with others you have shared), is simply amazing, historical and so well presented. Thank you for making this available to all of us. Well done!!

Excellent group! I remember this one well when for sale. Simply one of the best A-2 groupings out there especially being a Doolittle raider on plane 1 with all the photo evidence to go with it.

Thanks for sharing it here. Its great to see it again!

JD

I only just saw this thread, Eric. Wow, outstanding grouping, to say the very least!!

Steve

Eric,

The depth of quality of your collection is amazing! Thank you for the outstanding photos and commentary on the pieces that you've shown. This is simply one of the finest groupings that I have ever had the honor of viewing here on the forum. I cannot wait to see the "best part" of this outstanding group.

Manayunkman, I would assume that the reason that the airmen in the photo in post #6 are in their stocking feet is that they were all inside a home when the suggestion was made to go have a photo taken. It was customary in China, Japan and other Oriental countries to remove your shoes before entering a person's home. Of course the is speculation, but I wouldn't expect that their shoes had been taken from them.

Allan

+1. A truly excellent grouping Thanks for sharing.

As for the missing shoes: It looks like some of them are wearing some kind of slipper (even those who at first glance are only wearing stockings)

Rene

Eric Queen

Thank you for the comments gentlemen. Happy to hear that some enjoyed seeing it.

I saved (what is to me) the best for last. This was not seen in the original online offering. Just an obscure little notebook in the bottom of a box.

HP 69 x.jpg

Eric Queen

This is his navigators notebook which he used to map out the entire mission.

HP 70 x x.jpg

Eric Queen

To me this artifact is so interesting. Notice how they had planed on arriving at the lighthouse at Inubo Saki at sunset. The lighthouse was meant to be a beacon in the darkness. From there, on to Tokyo under cover of darkness. Unfortunately, it did not work out that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inub%C5%8Dsaki_Lighthouse

HP 71 x.jpg

Eric Queen

This shows the entire route as it was planned. Obviously they planned to be over Japan in the dark and reach China at sunrise. Instead they ended up over China in total darkness with no fuel.

HP 72 x.jpg

Eric Queen

What's really neat also is he wrote down just about everything he saw and heard up until the time they bailed out.

Here is just a short excerpt.

'FIRST BOMB AT 13:00.DROP OUR BOMBS. LET GO 1000 FT. THEN WENT BACK TO HOUSETOPS. FLEW OVER UNPROTECTED AIRPLANE
FACTORY AND POWDER FACTORY. COL. CUSSING BECAUSE WE HAVE NO MORE BOMBS. DIDN'T FIRE SO WE WOULDN'T GIVE OUR POSITION AWAY.
LEFT TOKYO DOING ABOUT 250 HEADED FOR CHINA. HOOVER AWAY OVER ON OUR LEFT RIGHT ON THE WATER"

HP 73 x.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Mankato MN, love it. So near to me here in southern MN. Again, wow, this group is over the top and again thanks for sharing Eric.

Kurt

• 1 month later...

I was in attendance for Col. Potter's funeral and took many pictures during the services. They had a B-25 flyover during the funeral. I had the pleasure to spend time at the local Airport visiting with him and he was a very nice person with some great stories.