HELP! Mystery Medals - NY IRISH VOLUNTEERS - Span-Am War

bobgee

Many years ago these medals to the First Regiment, Irish Volunteers of New York were sold on eBay. I have been trying for a long time to develop a history of who this unit was and the extent of their service in the Spanish American War to no avail. All my inquiries trace to the Irish Brigade in the Civil War. The medals are beautifully struck & marked Dieges & Clust, John St. N.Y. I have only posted 3 medals but have several others for drill attendance & marksmanship & races. The dance program is dated in March 1913.Being a former New Yorker of Irish descent my curiosity about this unit continues. Anyone out there have any knowledge? Thanks - Bobgee

"Erin Go Bragh"

IRISH VOLS 5.jpg

IRISH VOLS 2.JPG

IRISH VOLS 3 - Copy (2).JPG

IRISH VOLS 1.JPG

IRISH VOLS 4 - Copy.JPG

Bob. My first guess would be that this was a Society made up of Irishmen who fought in the Spanish American War. Maybe some sort of unofficial militia. During those times, cultures stuck very tightly together. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an Italian Regiment of similar sorts. Great medals. I think this is going to be a great thread.

Thanks guys! Here's a shot of one of the other medals and an officer's type bronze collar device.

IRISH VOLS 7.JPG

IRISH VOLS 6.JPG

mars&thunder

Go a site for a website called "Old Fulton Postcards" - which is an online database of scanned mostly NY newspapers. In the search box type Irish Volunteers and select search type of "exact phrase". From the returned database records, skim through and look for dates in the 1890's to start with. You should find a number of newspaper articles about this organization - select ones of interest and the page of the newspaper in question will be displayed and any "Irish Volunteer" matches will be highlighted in color. Expand the newspaper view so you can easily read the article of interest and enjoy. There are a number of interesting accounts here. Dates from 1916 on will be mostly about the Irish revolution so don't spend time looking in those records.

Go a site for a website called "Old Fulton Postcards" - which is an online database of scanned mostly NY newspapers. In the search box type Irish Volunteers and select search type of "exact phrase". From the returned database records, skim through and look for dates in the 1890's to start with. You should find a number of newspaper articles about this organization - select ones of interest and the page of the newspaper in question will be displayed and any "Irish Volunteer" matches will be highlighted in color. Expand the newspaper view so you can easily read the article of interest and enjoy. There are a number of interesting accounts here. Dates from 1916 on will be mostly about the Irish revolution so don't spend time looking in those records.

Thank you very much. A preliminary view looks promising, Bob

mars&thunder

Once you've done some research, I hope you'll post a summary back to the forum. I know I'd love to see what you found out. These are very interesting medals.