1944 U.S. M2-10-6 Army Lightweight Optical Mask Restoration

DukeNougat3d

DukeNougat3d

And for now, this is the finished result. Unfortunately, hand-riveting the harness buckle tabs did not turn out well, so I'm going to sit on it and wait to acquire an arbor press and have a custom bench die machined for setting the rivet caps without warping, damage, or inconsistencies. But aside from the head harness not being fixed to the mask just yet, this restoration was totally successful.

post-207727-0-20038000-1561145499_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Seems black plastic was used for this example:

I would imagine the black plastic diaphragms are less common, since the grey ones can also be found on the M3 diaphragm masks.....The black ones probably being unique to these optical masks....

Did you find your mask on ebay?......There was a boxed one from a French vendor on there some time ago.....Nice outfit by the way, and thanks for posting, Bodes

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:29 AM, DukeNougat3d said:

And with that, the restoration was complete. a 1944-dated U.S. M2-10-6 Army Lightweight Optical Mask as brought back to wearable, displayable condition again, it was promptly sent back to its owner, and I walked away happy that a piece of history was given a second chance and that I had another mask to replace the one I sacrificed. The owner ended up replacing the M7 Harness with a better example after it was back in his hands again.

post-207727-0-49646900-1555403298_thumb.jpg

Many thanks! Here is the youtube channel of the collector the restored mask went to. I'm not sure when or if he will end up making a video on it, though. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO7PM9t06V92Q89a7_NihQw/videos?&ab_channel=OlderMasksAreTheBest

I just discovered this post, 

You did a great job ! Here is mine: 

DSC_4579 2.jpg