Western knife question

Costa

question is this: why do Western knives when they show up for sale go for so much?? you don't see them that often for sale and when they do and are in decent shape prices go high. is it the scarcity, quality? I was watching these 2 on ebay and was watching the bidding. the Cole book has these 2 and appear to be the more recognizable as a fighting knife and MK-1 type. they both seem to be decent with factory edges. why so high??

post-73-0-60695600-1555295115.jpg

post-73-0-56832000-1555295187.jpg

The second one is a version of the "Shark" model from Western.It has the flat steel pommel opposed to the aluminum.

Not sure if it increases the value but its a harder version to find.People like them with USN/USMC pilots displays too.

Western made some very nice knives during the war and the blue finnish is a drawing factor when collecting and to find them in full finnish isnt easy

The first knife is the Western model L-71 Sea Bee knife.not a real rare knife but less common than its counter parts.

Appears there are some stiff prices being paid for some knives recently on ebay.Saw a Robeson USN MK2 bring $405....maybe it tax return fun money?? :D

I agree with doyler. They were well made and the gun blue mirror finish is second to none. However, the exposed tangs were prone to rusting. To find a mint or near mint specimen including the original leather sheath is a tall order and will command a premium price. The value of Western war time models have been steadily increasing.

Western knives, like Case, Camillus, etc, have two sets of collectors after them. First are the military collectors looking for shark knives and others to add to their collections. Second are the Western collectors seeking to add the military versions to their collections of civilian versions. That widens the demand, while the supply stays relatively steady.

However, having spent quite a bit of time on ebay looking at knives, I can say that you can find good condition Western knives at reasonable prices. The knives I see going for high prices are the ones in excellent condition, particularly the leather sheaths. To those of us that like them "used but not abused" those prices may seem insanely high, but they reflect the market for high condition knives that show little, if any use.

One other factor, the opening bid. I've bought several uncommon versions of knives for what seem like high opening bids, but when tracking like items that have low opening bids to see what the knife may actually be worth, I've noticed that the low opening bids often go for more (and sometimes significantly more) than the high opening bid knife that no one bid on. Bidding wars are common when excellent knives and sheaths are starting out with low opening bids.

Bill Walters

Doyler, you may be referring to me as having paid $405 for a Robeson Shuredge USN Mark 2. I thought that it was a bargain at that price and never thought that I would be the winner. This is not your average Mark 2. If you look at #1, page 375 in my Book Two, you will see this variation. If you look at the text, you will see that it is the rarest of all Robeson USN Mark 2's. As a matter of fact, this is only only the fourth one that I have ever seen. In addition to the grey "Navy" finish on the metal parts , the handle and pommel are unique to this variation and unlike any other Robeson Mark 2's. I bought for rarity. It is another reason to have good reference books. Keeps you from purchasing bad knives and from missing great knives.

Doyler, you may be referring to me as having paid $405 for a Robeson Shuredge USN Mark 2. I thought that it was a bargain at that price and never thought that I would be the winner. This is not your average Mark 2. If you look at #1, page 375 in my Book Two, you will see this variation. If you look at the text, you will see that it is the rarest of all Robeson USN Mark 2's. As a matter of fact, this is only only the fourth one that I have ever seen. In addition to the grey "Navy" finish on the metal parts , the handle and pommel are unique to this variation and unlike any other Robeson Mark 2's. I bought for rarity. It is another reason to have good reference books. Keeps you from purchasing bad knives and from missing great knives.

Bill

That's a great knife and glad you were able to add it to your collection.Just meant to say good knives will always bring a premium and seem to be strong area of interested collectors who seek them out.

Bill Walters

I agree with you. You are correct that the premium knives bring the premium. Thanks, Bill

I agree with you. You are correct that the premium knives bring the premium. Thanks, Bill

Would love to see it posted here with better photos.