WW1 DSC - Edward Blackman

MAP1

Austin, that is the second pattern citation and they will usually have a 1920’s date on it. Like you, I cant comment on originality without a better photo, but if stored properly, who knows. It does look kind of bright. The first pattern citation as you probably know is usually 1918 or 1919 dated, and they were on cheaper paper. Here are the two in my collection issued to the same man seven years apart.

73E9A497-261E-4519-B969-9818A0E6C758.jpeg

F9F01502-53CE-4548-BC79-927BAFF990E1.jpeg

17 hours ago, warguy said:

Austin, that is the second pattern citation and they will usually have a 1920’s date on it. Like you, I cant comment on originality without a better photo, but if stored properly, who knows. It does look kind of bright. The first pattern citation as you probably know is usually 1918 or 1919 dated, and they were on cheaper paper. Here are the two in my collection issued to the same man seven years apart.

73E9A497-261E-4519-B969-9818A0E6C758.jpeg

F9F01502-53CE-4548-BC79-927BAFF990E1.jpeg

Yeah I meant the "2nd pattern" (the non AEF document), if you look at the name inscribed on yours it flows a lot more than the one in question, which looks relatively small.  Beautiful examples! 

On the DSC document in post #20, I believe the autograph appears to be from Secretary of War Harry H. Woodring. That, combined with the printed lettering, would put this document between 1936 and 1940. They were still using this document at the time, so it makes complete sense. 

Thanks Dave, that might answer the question as to why it looks brighter (whiter) as well. Do you know if the second citation had to be requested by the recipient? Mine came out of the woodwork and I often wondered if the Government just sent the new second pattern citation out to previous recipients, or if a request had to be made, much like requesting a SS or PH when they were introduced in 1932? 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:04 AM, Kadet said:

It looks to me like the medal that started this thread used to hang under the document. Perhaps the next best course of action would be to reunite the document with the medal?

That’s my next mission, my whole family has been military and we’re planning to get it to a military museum for him to be remembered. 

On 1/2/2022 at 2:22 PM, AustinO said:

It does look like there was a medal mounted below the document.  I also think this is a later document and not the original as it is not yellowed, and the name does not have the same flowing script as WWI era award documents.  I'd love to see a closeup photograph to confirm.  

I can send a close up when I get home, I believe it is the original, the person I got it from kept it in mint condition as he was a very experienced antique collector that knew how to preserve antiques. 

Just now, Vitmarlyn said:

I can send a close up when I get home, I believe it is the original, the person I got it from kept it in mint condition as he was a very experienced antique collector that knew how to preserve antiques. 

And yes, the medal on the bottom is missing. That’s what lead me to this forum which is pretty neat

On 1/2/2022 at 2:22 PM, AustinO said:

It does look like there was a medal mounted below the document.  I also think this is a later document and not the original as it is not yellowed, and the name does not have the same flowing script as WWI era award documents.  I'd love to see a closeup photograph to confirm.  

E0756373-66AB-46E3-8967-8E6E102F52F7.png

670F93F2-875B-4E88-BE20-925C896AE748.png

On 1/1/2022 at 9:38 PM, USMCR79 said:

That is very generous of you to give this away - I checked Ancestry and he had a couple of sisters - one died in 1969 the other in 1986 - No NOK was listed for either of these 2 Ladies

Bill

Would you be able to tell me the names of his two sisters? 
-Martin

Awesome documents! Wish I had my Great Grandfathers. We have his medals (including a WW1 DSC) but the accompanying paperwork was lost long ago.