1880's army rank question

topdcnut

I picked up several army chevrons, once apon a time I knew what this specialty was but now that I own one I cannot remember what it is. I think band related but unsure and not sure of the black chevrons.

T/Y John

post-2723-1229999653.jpg

Emerson catalogs this chevron as No. 126: Drum Major, 1899-1902 (see Chevrons, pp. 98 - 99). The accompanying text indicates that one drum major was authorized in each Cavalry, Infantry, and Artillery regimental band (1898), in the Engineer Corps band (1901) and in the Corps of Artillery bands (1901). However, according to Emerson's branch colors table (p. 70), Signal Corps was the only branch authorized to use black chevrons with white stitching from 1891 to 1902 (although Infantry wore dark blue chevrons with white stitching on overcoats only from 1876 to 1900).

I would KILL to get the Emerson book...LOL....I keep hoping to find one in a used bookstore someplace, hidden on a back shelf. Just can't afford the $$$$$ to get one online LOL.

I would KILL to get the Emerson book...LOL....I keep hoping to find one in a used bookstore someplace, hidden on a back shelf. Just can't afford the $$$$$ to get one online LOL.

Jason,

Be paitent. I understand that Colonel Emerson is in the process of updating the chevrons book and plans to have it published at some later date. Back when the original came out (about 20 years ago), many collectors wouldn't buy it cause it was 50 bucks back then and many considered it too expensive. Maybe when the new edition finally comes out, more collectors will buy it when they get the chance. I know I'll also purchase the new edition even tho I have an original.

Several years ago, I heard that xerox copies of the original volume were being sold for $100 or more. I can't recommend the book too highly. It has more info than you can remember and is well researched. Even if you don't collect chevrons, the book is valuable in providing information that allows the historian to date photographs of US Army enlisted men just by the chevrons they are wearing. It also contains good information on rates of pay from different time periods and you get the correct rank titles and not a lot of collectorisims.

Lee, thanks. I do collect chevrons, and it's a book I've been wanting for a long time. I'm hoping that the reprint/2nd edition comes out soon! I'll be getting it for sure.

Emerson catalogs this chevron as No. 126: Drum Major, 1899-1902 (see Chevrons, pp. 98 - 99). The accompanying text indicates that one drum major was authorized in each Cavalry, Infantry, and Artillery regimental band (1898), in the Engineer Corps band (1901) and in the Corps of Artillery bands (1901). However, according to Emerson's branch colors table (p. 70), Signal Corps was the only branch authorized to use black chevrons with white stitching from 1891 to 1902 (although Infantry wore dark blue chevrons with white stitching on overcoats only from 1876 to 1900).

[Thank you for the info, the Emmerson book sound very interesting. Also sounds like a pretty scarce insignia. When you said bandmaster it came back to me, in fact when I was growing up my friends parents had one of those batons (wrong name for it) in thier foyer the thing was masive and ornate and as tall as a man.

Thank you again Wailuna for great info.]

[Thank you for the info, the Emmerson book sound very interesting. Also sounds like a pretty scarce insignia. When you said bandmaster it came back to me, in fact when I was growing up my friends parents had one of those batons (wrong name for it) in thier foyer the thing was masive and ornate and as tall as a man.

Thank you again Wailuna for great info.]

Yes, it is rather scarce. Very nice chevron.

Kurt

Yes, it is rather scarce. Very nice chevron.

Kurt

[ Thanks Kurt, I wish there were as many navy rates from that period floating around as there are army or even usmc. John]