Personal Belongings Trunk: WWII Veteran KIA in Korea

tfhiii

post-162853-0-11757700-1555106185_thumb.jpg
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to share some pics of a trunk that I recently purchased. Not something I would normally buy due to its size, but I couldn't pass it up. I'm finding interesting information on Captain Kenneth Brown. I've found some information on his service and award citation during the Korean War and a brief reference to his service as a platoon leader in the ETO during WWII. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tom
Kenneth E. Brown
HOME OF RECORD:
Gregg, Texas
AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION: 1 of 1
Distinguished Service Cross
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING Korean War
Service: Army
Battalion: 3d Battalion
Division: 25th Infantry Division
GENERAL ORDERS:
Department of the Army: General Orders No. 102 (November 27, 1951)
CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, under the provisions of the Act of Congress approved July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) to Captain (Infantry) Kenneth E. Brown (ASN: 0-1304844), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United Nations while serving as Commanding Officer of Company L, 3d Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. Captain Brown distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action against enemy aggressor forces at Idong-Myon, Korea, on 1 and 2 June 1951. On that date, when leading elements of his attacking company were stopped by hostile fire, Captain Brown continued the advance. Using his pistol and throwing grenades, he personally eliminated an enemy machine-gun and two automatic rifles and killed three and captured one of the enemy. Under his aggressive leadership, his company resumed the advance and secured its objective. Within two hours the enemy launched determined counterattacks. Throughout the night, although twice wounded, he moved among his men, encouraging them to hold on. When ammunition became low, he gathered and distributed enemy weapons and ammunition. Personally participating in the fighting with any weapon available, and finally with clubbed rifle and his fists, Captain Brown continued to set an inspiring example to his men until he was killed by a burst of machine-gun fire. As a result of his unflinching courage and inspiring leadership, the position was maintained and a heavy toll of dead and wounded inflicted upon the enemy. Captain Brown's heroic action reflects the highest credit on himself and upholds the finest traditions of the military service.

post-162853-0-36644300-1555106164_thumb.jpg

post-162853-0-58977800-1555106175_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
zzyzzogeton

As dumb as this sounds, I sent a query to fish year roommate at Texas A&M who happens to be a Brown from Lamesa TX to see if he knows anything.

zzyzzogeton

Got word back from my fish year college roommate. If Capt. Brown was a relative, he was way off in the weeds and not known by my roommate's family. I figured it was a long shot with a common name like Brown, but no guts, no glory. :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...

zzyzzogeton,

Sorry for never responding. Obviously, I have n't been on the forum or checked in a very long time. Thanks for looking into Captain Brown for me; much appreciated.

Tom