USS Bagley, WW2, I need a ships roster

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

I'm doing some research on a sailor who served on the USS Bagley in August 1945. His initials are H.S.P.. How can I look at the roster of the ship for that time period? Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi. I just looked at the crew Muster Rolls for the USS Bagley (DD-386), for July and October of 1945, and there is nobody with those initials.

dhcoleterracina

There was a flag that I bought recently that had written on it "first US flag to fly over Marcus Island August 1945". On another part of the flag were "H.S.P.". I had never heard of Marcus Island but learned that it was a Japanese held island that we bombed but never invaded. In August 1945 the Japanese garrison wanted to surrender and the USS Bagley was sent. I was hoping that the letters were initials to a sailor on the Bagley so THANK YOU for checking. I checked a website that lists meanings for military acronyms but nothing really jumps out. This grouping included a US Navy uniform and some military book items that were all sold separately with no name ID out of Maine. Someone thought HSP stood for headquarters South Pacific but that seems a stretch. I hate dead ends.

There are actually two flags, one is a proper WW2 Navy Ensign size 7, the other isn't. I'll keep thinking what it could mean. I'll post a picture too soon. Again, thanks for checking.

dhcoleterracina

The second flag has written upon it that it was the first flag flown on Marcus Island August 1945. Curiously, the second flag is NOT a Navy type flag like the first flag that I posted. Perhaps the other flag was a family mistake? I don't know.

I've learned doing research that the first ship to reach Marcus Island was a destroyer, the USS MAYRANT, DD-402. It is possible that the H.S.P. could belong to someone, presumably of significance, on that ship. Could I impose again on someone to check the crew list for the MAYRANT for someone with initials HSP? Many Thanks again.

dhcoleterracina

Chip, there is a military abbreviation search website that I checked but saw nothing that looked promising. What rank are you thinking?