WW2 Prototype M1 liner

mdk0911

I really don't think this is a prototype. I think it is a 1st issued St. Clair. I'm curious to see what others think.

The 22 current bids would seem to indicate that at least some people believe this to be an original prototype.

It looks like one to me, but I'll defer to the experts.

As soon as it was listed, I let the seller know that the liner is, indeed, a first pattern St. Clair helmet liner (interestingly, missing the insignia eyelet). He didn't find it necessary to change the listing, though.

Burning Hazard

Not sure what makes it a prototype; it’s missing an eyelet but it’s not uncommon, some WWII MSA liners tend to miss eyelets. Still a nice liner though, especially with the permanently attached chinstrap still intact.

Pat

Aside from the missing eyelet, what else is there that would make it a prototype, as opposed to a standard 1st pattern?

Not a thing. Just from speaking with the seller, one could tell that he is not familiar with helmets and erroneously arrived at the "prototype" conclusion.

In the initial test of M1 liners (after the TS-3 Hawley/Tenite/Ethocel etc. experiments), there were 63 prototypes submitted by various manufacturers, and the Bureau of Standards marked and recorded each one. I'd expect to see such markings on a true prototype.

I don't see the SC mark, and given the missing eyelet, I suppose it's possible that this is a "prototype" in that it could be a pre-production example, but who knows?

I don't see the SC mark, and given the missing eyelet, I suppose it's possible that this is a "prototype" in that it could be a pre-production example, but who knows?

If this were one of St. Clair's earliest liners, I'm not sure I would expect to see the standard, yellow-painted "SC" marking. The earliest examples, I believe, were marked with X's, but most often an embossed S.C., which was quite difficult to detect (hence the addition of the yellow "S.C." Here's one such example of both the embossed marking and yellow-paint:

https://www.circa1941.com/product-page/wwii-fixed-loop-m1-helmet-st-clair-liner-pto-set-1941-42

post-11015-0-81121900-1554927783_thumb.jpg

As soon as it was listed, I let the seller know that the liner is, indeed, a first pattern St. Clair helmet liner (interestingly, missing the insignia eyelet). He didn't find it necessary to change the listing, though.

Agree just a 1st pattern SC with green paint.

I once owned a first run Hawley. It was stamped "Sample" along with a "1" in the dome. The rayon suspension and washers were different from a standard issue also. I realize this isn't a Hawley, but I would suspect similar traits in a prototypical St. Clair. Maybe the seller thinks the green paint on the inside makes it prototypical. I believe St.Clair 1st issues was the only manufacturer to do that.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What is written on it? Looks like measurements? Maybe that is why the seller thinks it is a prototype?

Sold for $1,614.99.

Wonder if they will get paid.

Saw a cut down M48 parka the other day sold for $1700 +.....only to get relisted as a no pay.

Sold for $1,614.99.

For that I will throw in the original experimental shell that came with mine...maybe will take a pencil and write "FACTORY TEST SAMPLE" on the liner :blink::wacko::rolleyes: