Tell me about this grenade...

It has letters "BB" on it. It has a spent fuse but not the type I am used to seeing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

hg1.jpg

hg4.jpg

hg3.jpg

hg2.jpg

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

donation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

dhcoleterracina

Keith, since there are no threading in the bottom hole I believe it is a WW2 era practice grenade. The fuse is mangled probably from someone trying to remove it.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Yes, you are right. I cleaned the mud/rust a little at the bottom hole and could see no threads. Thanks.

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

BB is for Burnham Boiler...a company in Zanesville, Ohio.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Garandomatic

Wow... never knew Burnham Boiler made practice grenades. Any chance the army had practice grenades made up from live bodies? I have two unfinished Burnham bodies, one made of aluminum that apparently does not exist, and two complete examples, and they are all solid-bottomed. Does anyone suppose that the army drilled a bunch to use for practice?

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Your fuze is in about the same condition as all of the M21 practice grenades I've dug. They just disintegrate over time, it originally would have looked like every other grenade fuze out there. Note that you can still make out some of the egg shell blue paint on the neck of your grenade.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Interesting, what is the size of the hole? I also have a BB grenade that may have been a practice grenade, however the hole is larger then the standard practice grenade hole. It would be interesting if this practice grenade also had a non-standard sized hole.

Interesting, what is the size of the hole? I also have a BB grenade that may have been a practice grenade, however the hole is larger then the standard practice grenade hole. It would be interesting if this practice grenade also had a non-standard sized hole.

Ray, the hole measures about .580". If the dirt and rust were cleaned off it may be close to .600". I have another that has a lot of blue paint left on it. Only marking on it is a sideways "T". The hole in it measures .475"; about .100" smaller than the BB grenade. The only other thing that is different between the two is the BB grenade flutes or grooves at the fuse end do not run all the way to the top and taper to a point about 1/8" from the top while the T grenade's grooves run all the way to the top without taper. Also the BB grenade has a sharper shoulder at the top of the segments while the T grenade has a rounded shoulder. Hope this helps. keith

Thanks,
keith

Garandomatic

A lot of those characteristics seem more or less unique to the Burnham pieces. If the hole is that different, seems possible it wasn't always a practice piece.

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

Ok, your's doesn't seem that far off from the m21, m21 normally have a .5625" hole mine had a hole of .625". The chamffing around the edge seems weird, I guess BB was just really bad at doing that. My guess is that it was a real HE that was converted to a practice one.

Garandomatic

Or that it was done by hand. Pretty easy for a chamfering tool to hog out irregularly.