HELP! Bought lot on the other side of the country (located in PA.)

JesseJames

I made a really stupid error today. I've been trying to source poncho liners to make shirts, but buying them on eBay one by one is a pain so I thought I'd save some money and bid on a lot of several. I found a website that liquidates modern military surplus for the government, and promptly bid on said lot. Well, as I read into the details, it mentions shipping as an option and stipulates it is the buyers responsibility and expense. I called to check and it turns out they usually just will-call the items. Shipping is sometimes done through a third party who comes to the warehouse, picks it up, packages the items, and send it off.

Well, seeing as how I live as far on the west coast as humanly possible without living on a boat, I will not be driving to Pennsylvania to pick up my 14 poncho liners. I'm stressed out at this stupid mistake because according to the person I spoke with today, things that sell for less than $2500.00 automatically have a $500 restocking charge. A $500 restocking charge for $275 worth of poncho liners. Even though they could be thrown in a box in less than 2 minutes, I'm worried the expense of the shipping service will exceed the cost of the items. Thought about how dumb I am all day at work today and probably will all day tomorrow as well.

This is a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with a situation like this? Many of my now deceased family members are from PA, but I have nobody there now. The items are located in Chambersburg, Pa... If I get desperate, think it would be worth while to try and hire someone independently to ship it via USPS? Anyone close and willing? Happy to pay for your time and shipping charges, just don't want to get gouged. Maybe i'm missing something and not thinking the obvious. I would really appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

I'm an idiot.

Maybe the mods can change the title to "Need help from someone in PA", that might attract more attention. Chambersburg is about a 10-hour drive for me from Indiana!

Well...if nothing else, Great War Militaria is in Chambersburg. You could try to reach them and offer them a reward for their labor and time. It might still be cheaper than the alternatives....

Just a thought.

Maybe the mods can change the title to "Need help from someone in PA", that might attract more attention. Chambersburg is about a 10-hour drive for me from Indiana!

Thank you for your efforts brother!

Well...if nothing else, Great War Militaria is in Chambersburg. You could try to reach them and offer them a reward for their labor and time. It might still be cheaper than the alternatives....

Just a thought.

Thank you for the tip, I will definitely reach out. Nice to wake up to some potential solutions. Thanks,

J

An update- After some brainstorming, I did a few things. I posted an ad on the local craigslist in the gigs section(costs money now which I found strange). By morning I had no less than 10 replies, but CL is a last resort so that is in my back pocket. I was also right about the shipping cost through the "referred courier", it far exceeded the cost of the item. I started looking at local courier services and struck out a few times before finally finding somebody that actually does that exact service i'm seeking. They're asking a fraction of what the other guys were(1/6), and it was extremely reassuring since they're a real business and i'm no longer in highway robbery territory. Later, after some more searching, I figured out that I can have UPS or FedEx pick it up for free, I just have to pay for shipping. Now we're talking. EXCEPT the poncho liners are in a plastic garbage bag and not a box. In order to have UPS pick it up, I need to ask the business entity to put them in a box for pick-up. We'll see how it goes, but at worst i'm getting gouged on 14 used poncho liners. Not so bad, considering the alternative. Thank you for the replies/support.

You might try the local UPS store instead of the corporate office.Not sure if that's who you called. You may be able to work a deal with the owner to pick them up and box and send them. Just a thought.

You might try the local UPS store instead of the corporate office.Not sure if that's who you called. You may be able to work a deal with the owner to pick them up and box and send them. Just a thought.

Thank you, I'll try giving them a call. Less logistics, the better.

Well, because of my relatively small lot(only weighs 17 pounds and fits in a single box),the warehouse actually did me a huge favor and boxed the 14 liners for me. I'm going to pre-pay shipping, schedule a pickup, and they'll send it off. Saved me from spending ~$40/each on used poncho liners. Instead, after all costs, the final price per will amount to $24.65. Still cheaper than eBay, but not by much. Very relieved to not just be throwing money away, lesson learned. I may sell the new ones to try and recover some of the costs. I like them when they're broken in a little bit anyways.

Been following your predicament and am glad to see that you managed to work something out.

Thanks brother,

next time i'll work this stuff out before placing a bid. Haha.

Glad it worked out!

Me too! Dumbest thing i've done in a long time. I hope this thread helps someone in the future, and feel free to send me a PM.