Dick Cole...Last of the Doolittle Raiders Dies at 103

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

One of the most amazing moments of my life was meeting him and thanking him for what he did. He laughed and said "Blame it on Jimmy."

A great American hero. Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot on the Tokyo Raid and the last survivor. R.I.P. LtCol. Cole.

He was an amazing guy.

I had the privilege to meet him a number of times.

Funny thing is, we never spoke about his WWII exploits...we always ended up talking about the B-25 and what a truly wonderful airplane it is to fly.

He was an absolutely wonderful guy and he will be missed.

You just thought he would live forever.

Blue Skies Mr. Cole!

Garandomatic

I know what you mean. I was the same way with Ted Paluch. I knew about the Malmedy Massacre, no need to make an old timer relive it. It was awesome enough to just shake his hand.

Most of the guys I have known who were really in it, rarely talked about the bad stuff or the things they did in combat. Food, friends, places, equipment, fun things, but rarely the bad stuff.

Charlie Flick

Colonel Doolittle's crew. Lt. Richard Cole is in front on the right, with Doolittle to the left in front. They flew the first B-25 off of the deck of the Hornet. Extraordinary men, peerless aviators, great Americans all.

Doolittle Crew.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

A great airman and veteran. Question - in the recent photo of him, he is wearing what looks like mini USN pilot wings on his lapel. Any idea why those instead of USAAF?