VFW 1969, Unique headgear worn during parade, any ideas?

SFTROOPER86

SFTROOPER86

Greetings to all,

Here is one for the Experts. This is the Memorial Day parade in Forest Park, Illinois, 1969. Has anyone ever seen headgear like this before. This was my Grandfather's outfit. He was the VFW Post 7181 Commander several times and I remember the guys to always have a sence of humor but this one I can't figure out. It looks like a Peter Pan type cap in red with a small white feather on the right side. Many of them were also part of the Military Order of The Cooties, could this be part of that organization's headgear.

Of course there is no one left alive to ask so this might be lost to history but I thought you would get a kick out of it. All of these guys were WW2 Veterans of course. Just curious! Thanks for any help!

God Bless Them All,

Vince

post-6407-0-85248400-1554691351_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-92408700-1554691440_thumb.jpg

SFTROOPER86,

VFW Post 7181 in Forest Park is still active. Have you thought about contacting them directly? I would email them a copy of your photos and see if they cannot answer your question. In this case, going to the source is your best bet.

If they provide you with an answer, please post their reply to the forum so we can all learn from what you discover.

Kevin

SFTROOPER86

Hi Kevin,

Active in name only. The last time I was there it was by chance that one fellow was there and he was just the cleaning guy. The post got so small it moved into tiny building with one room. Not hoping for much from them but will try.

Thanks & will keep you posted.

Vince

SFTROOPER86

Thanks again Guys!

I am posting some other extreemly cool Military Order of The Cooties items in my next post.

Thanks for your input!

Vince