JasonT

100th Division Collection - WWII

Thank you Alex, appreciate it! Games were definately different back then, not the shootouts they've become now. Football seemed to be pretty popular with various occupation units playing each other. I've seen several different souvenir programs over the last few years but oddly enough never a baseball one.

Yeah they were definitely very interesting. I’ve come to appreciate these little pamphlets for what they are, found one a while back between the 36th and 84th that has some great shots of uniforms bearing the unit insignia! I would sure love to find a baseball one some day! It’s surprising to find them at all honestly, think how many handouts you get at games or events nowadays that you keep, much less being home all the way from Europe!

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR ACW Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID WWI WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co. WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID WWII WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70 WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div Vietnam

Contact me with IDd WWII 36th Division, SSI Navy, Aviation, or Kentucky veteran uniforms.

Charlie, thanks for sharing the dog tag grouping and cigarette case! I think that's the first case I've seen that had an inscription on it. Unfortunate that it doesn't have enough to ID it, but a great item none the less.

Yeah they were definitely very interesting. I’ve come to appreciate these little pamphlets for what they are, found one a while back between the 36th and 84th that has some great shots of uniforms bearing the unit insignia! I would sure love to find a baseball one some day! It’s surprising to find them at all honestly, think how many handouts you get at games or events nowadays that you keep, much less being home all the way from Europe!

Someone coming across one of their actual game uniforms - now that would be a great find!

I always wondered what the French patch meant; have one in my collection. I guess when I hit 30 posts then my photos can come out. I would love to show some of my stuff

Here is a cut down, tailored 4 pocket jacket that I picked up a couple years ago that was ID'd to Pfc Howard A. Seifer, who served in L Company of the 398th Infantry Regiment. Pfc. Seifer was awarded the Purple Heart for being wounded in action on December 18, 1944 while his company was attacking fortified positions in Reyersvillers, France. He suffered a compound fractured hand due to artillery shrapnel. Mr. Seifer was also awarded the Legion Of Honor award from France in 2011. I believe that the Free French Forces Training patch that is on the right shoulder of the jacket was added post war by Mr. Seifer as either a personal affection or to signify that he fought in France, as some other forum members have suggested.

post-154340-0-03073300-1503356377.jpg

post-154340-0-01060400-1503356447.jpg

This is a great forum posting. It would be nice to start some similar ones for some other divisions. I bet some nice stuff could be shared.

This is a great forum posting. It would be nice to start some similar ones for some other divisions. I bet some nice stuff could be shared.

Thanks Skysoldier80! I agree, there are a lot of collectors who focus on particular divisions (and not just airborne or D-Day units) and it'd be great to see some similar threads started

Here is a 100th Infantry Division pamphlet titled "Your Personal Affairs". Printed by the Division G-3 in Stuttgart, Germany in November 1945, this was given to troops being discharged. In includes info on GI Bill of Rights, insurance and general mustering out info. I was actually pretty excited to find this today. In 5 years of collecting 100th Division this is the first of these I've ever seen, even on Ebay. I just happened to spot it while I was in the check out line at a nearby antique mall.

post-154340-0-70082700-1556403075.jpg

post-154340-0-31135500-1556403090.jpg

Here is a 100th Infantry Division pamphlet titled "Your Personal Affairs". Printed by the Division G-3 in Stuttgart, Germany in November 1945, this was given to troops being discharged. In includes info on GI Bill of Rights, insurance and general mustering out info. I was actually pretty excited to find this today. In 5 years of collecting 100th Division this is the first of these I've ever seen, even on Ebay. I just happened to spot it while I was in the check out line at a nearby antique mall.

Awesome! I love when coming across chance finds like that, especially at the 11th hour.

Awesome! I love when coming across chance finds like that, especially at the 11th hour.

Yea I had to do a double take because it was in a display case with a few TR and post ww2 items and it didnt have the insignia on the cover as I would expect it to. Once I saw the ruptured duck though I knew it had to be WW2 and US.

My collection of 100th Infantry Division books, all memoirs except for "War In The Ruins", which is a good retelling of the events of the Division as a whole.

The book "Love Company" is signed by the author, was owned by a fellow member of the 399th and includes handwritten footnotes and highlights by the vet who owned the book.

There are a few more out there that I have on my wish list to pick up one day.

post-154340-0-84621600-1557077958_thumb.jpg

My latest 100th patch addition - a german made example;

post-154340-0-86488100-1557362189.jpg

post-154340-0-07612400-1557362196.jpg

As some of you know, I have posting some things on my Great Uncle Pete, but this past weekend, I was going through a bunch of his things and I found this real neat 398th Ring so i thought that i would share.

post-215372-0-36035400-1557837269.jpg

As some of you know, I have posting some things on my Great Uncle Pete, but this past weekend, I was going through a bunch of his things and I found this real neat 398th Ring so i thought that i would share.

Nice ring, thanks for sharing! I've seen a few 398th rings over the last several years, but oddly enough never any from the other two infantry regiments. Yours looks to be in great shape too.

Here is an unnamed 398th regiment Ike jacket that I recently acquired from a fellow forum member.post-154340-0-68982300-1557878770_thumb.jpg

(Photo 2) - has 100th division combat patch and one german made DUI. I may add another or leave it as found.post-154340-0-56368700-1557878888_thumb.jpg

(Photo 3) - has a 5th Service Command on left sleeve with sterling CIB. The bronze star and the American campaign ribbons look much newer than the others. May have been added at a later date or were kept in the pockets for many years.

post-154340-0-89017400-1557879256_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

(Photo 3) - has a 5th Service Command on left sleeve with sterling CIB. The bronze star and the American campaign ribbons look much newer than the others. May have been added at a later date or were kept in the pockets for many years.

attachicon.gif 20190514_184250-604x805.jpg

Hello, this all very nice stuff!

I though I'd post a few of my 100th Division items too

This is a small group identified to T/5 Robert C. P E N N of D/397, he enlisted late in 43 and was probably (and briefly) an ATSP student at Indiana University.

The Ike jacket has german bullion insignia: 7th Army SSI on the left shoulder, o/s bars and a CIB (embroidered on German Party brown wool as far as I know). The DI on the o/s cap is the classic painted lead type.

Apart from the enlistment data and the 100th Div roster on the internet, I have been unable to learn more about him.

Hope you like it

post-1981-0-17302400-1557932883_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-17332100-1557932940.jpg

what, me worry?

donation2009.gifdonation2012.gif

That is a pretty neat jacket. I wish that I could lucky to find one from the Div.

This is a small group identified to T/5 Robert C. P E N N of D/397, he enlisted late in 43 and was probably (and briefly) an ATSP student at Indiana University.

The Ike jacket has german bullion insignia: 7th Army SSI on the left shoulder, o/s bars and a CIB (embroidered on German Party brown wool as far as I know). The DI on the o/s cap is the classic painted lead type.

Apart from the enlistment data and the 100th Div roster on the internet, I have been unable to learn more about him.

Hope you like it

Jason,

Awesome collection of 100th Division items. I have the War in the Ruins book and it was an excellent read. I'm going to look for the others you have posted.

I'm not sure if you have seen my thread on the forum before so here it is on a 100th Division vet bring back pistol: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/317984-lucky-streak-continues-cz27-grouping-from-100th-division-vet/?p=2554268

You did a great job with your display.

Jason,

Awesome collection of 100th Division items. I have the War in the Ruins book and it was an excellent read. I'm going to look for the others you have posted.

I'm not sure if you have seen my thread on the forum before so here it is on a 100th Division vet bring back pistol: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/317984-lucky-streak-continues-cz27-grouping-from-100th-division-vet/?p=2554268

Very nice.

Hope you like it

Jason,

Thank you all, I'm happy you like it. I have a few more uniforms to post that I should get around to in the coming week. You don't realize how much stuff you actually have accumulated until you start going through everything to photograph it all.

Jason,

Thanks Keith! I am actually just finishing reading the 'Soldier's Sketchbook' this week. It's a quick read but well put together with lots of photos and drawings. Most of the book is his letters home (like the book 'V-Mail') but he also adds some modern commentary to it. 'V-Mail' was okay but you get a lot of the typical "all is swell, don't worry" censored letters that don't really reflect the soldier's true feelings or what is actually going on. 'A 4F Goes to War' was my least favorite of the group. It's a very short book, but the author appeared to me to think a little too highly of himself - has a few stories of him talking back to officers and making a disparaging comment or two about guys that got trench foot or frostbite (as if they all did it on purpose...).

That is a nice grouping you have with the pistol. Did you ever decide to make contact with the family or not to get some more information?

Hope you like it

Thanks for sharing norwegian blue! I like the embroidered CIB on the jacket