Soldier I.D. Stencil K.I.A. Gaines Mill 13th N.Y.V.I.

skypilot6670

Iam sure these stencils were used to label a soldiers gear. I think they were also carried as a means of I.D. should he be killed . This just about completes the different main types of identity devices I have in my collection that I have posted on the Forum . The final piece is an I.D. ring that is locked up . I will try to get photos next week of the ring and some of my more interesting I.D. disc and corps badges and post them.

This stencil belonged to William Denning Co. A 13 N.Y.V.I. His last name is misspelled on the stencil as Dennis . Sadly he was killed early in the war at Gaines Mill , on June 27,1862.

Some where around a quarter of the badges and disc I have in my collection have similar mistakes. Ive found when searching records you have to look at all possible spellings and number reversals. post-137056-0-06086400-1554647266_thumb.jpeg

That's a great item - I've never seen one. It appears to be metal. I take it that was a private purchase item. I'll have to look for your prior ID badge posts.

Would there be a pension application by his parent(s) or was that not an automatic thing. That would provide more info. I have an ancestor also from a Rochester, NY regt., the 140th, who died at Gettysburg and his mom, I believe, made a pension application. I got more information from that than from all other available sources.

skypilot6670

Hi Sundance. Yes they were private purchase at least I don’t know of any records that show they were issued .They were used in both western and eastern theaters . The ones I’ve seen are sheet brass. They are relatively cheep depending on soldier and unit history. Thanks for the kind words. Mike

skypilot6670

Hey Sundance. The 140 th is a great Gettysburg unit , Little Round Top. Another of those last minute save the day charges .I haven’t got his records yet but should have them soon . Thanks for the reply. Mike

Thanks skypilot. My "Uncle Charlie" died on Little Round Top. I always feel the 140th never got the credit they deserved but if you watch videos of battlefield guides and historians describing the fighting on Little Round Top they always seem to stress the contributions of the 140th and their charge. Had it not been for the 140th I figure the 20th Maine would have been fighting Rebels front and rear. (Not to take anything away from the gallantry of the 20th Maine)

skypilot6670

Thanks for the kind words. Your Uncles ultimate sacrifice will stay a part of that noble units great history. That “Hallowed Ground” Lincoln spoke of so eloquently is part of your family history. Thanks Mike