HelmetguyCT

Three airborne jump wings

Hello all. I have no idea about these wings as I havent handled too many. OSS looks grounded down. Chaplain looks ok to me but am no expert. And the combat jump one patina wear is ehhh I dont know. Please help

post-177166-0-18624300-1554599378_thumb.jpeg

I believe the OSS applied to the US paratrooper wing is bogus. Yet one just like this sold on eBay recently in February of 2019 from eBay seller militarybizniz for $565.55. I've attached a photograph of the one that sold recently on eBay and as you can tell they used the same pin back US paratrooper wing and they seemed to have used some kind of ugly uneven thick finish.

post-1389-0-65085200-1554608886_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

The first of these wings popped up a number of years ago and were pretty convincing due to the period engraving on the back. I felt that someone ruined a WW2 engraved US paratrooper wing to make it look more convincing.

post-1389-0-04323300-1554609092_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

The bottom right with the added jump looks ok to me.

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

Then this uniform pops up for sale with the same OSS applied lettering but whomever (jeweler) was making these wings or having someone make it for them had these tiny stars applied to the wings. I believe they are all bogus and were made to deceived people into parting with their hard earned money.

post-1389-0-87466800-1554609454_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

As for the other two paratrooper wings there is no real way of determining if they are real in that an airborne qualified chaplain had a pair made up for wear on a baseball cap off duty or if someone added this crucifix to simply deceive collectors.

post-1389-0-77964600-1554609721_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

I think we can conclude with certainty that the OSS wing is a fake. The "Chaplain" wing appears to have had a hole drilled in the wing and a cross lapel pin secured through the hole. The last wing with the jump star is an original, but I tend to see these "dished" example wings coming out later. Yes, they could have existed in WWII, but I've seen a bunch of them in Korean War era groups. Interestingly enough, most of the KW uniforms that I see for sale always have clutch back wings, but that isn't what I have encountered most often in the hands of veterans.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Thanks all. I mean if were all in the same page. The only legit one that has a chance of being around period assembly of the device is the one battle star? The chaplain is desirable and definitely put together, but I guess the only way to tell is to examine the cross and the screw back. Anyone have examples of chaplain wings?

The OSS letters appear to be modern ribbon devices: the O looks like the numeral 0 ribbon device. Any idea what the S is? Is it the sharpshooter designation for USN/USCG pistol/rifle shot medal ribbons?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Youd think they would at least use the same font type?

David Turman

Semper Fi !

"Not as Lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine!"

I believe the last was made with two navy shooting "S" devices for Sharpshooter and a "0" numeral device worn on the Air Medal ribbon and any other than uses numbers to denote additional awards. Either way, those devices don't come close to WWII vintage.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif