Vietnam War Era Lightweight Utility shirt - In-country Made "OG-107"?

MasonK

Yesterday, a buddy of mine texted me a photo of what looked like a typical OG-107 shirt, with a very nice Vietnamese made pocket patch for the 255th Transportation detachment. Right shoulder patch is an SSI for the 1st Aviation Brigade, and left shoulder SSI is Army Aviation Center/School.

My buddy was at a local thrift shop, so I ran over, and was able to purchase it along with what appear to be three in-country made SP4 rank patches.

The shop owner gave me the first name of the consignor, who was the son of the vet, which was a nice lead. I checked the front pocket, and low and behold, a paystub with all of the vet's information! I was able to ID the uniform to a local gentlemen who sadly passed away this past October. Not much else about his service that I could find online, but I was able to put a face to the name through his obit.

I was hoping someone could school me on this shirt, as I was told that it too was Vietnamese made. I assume the Army/Name-tape is as well. There was once a tag, but it's since washed out. Only markings are 555 written in marker beneath the tag.

Is this an ARVN issued shirt, or is it an in-country made shirt, that was available for purchase by US troops? Searches on the forum didn't provide anything definitive.

Thanks in advance!

post-29885-0-79273200-1554495604_thumb.jpg

Light weight “ pickle suit” sold in PX. Any guess where he bought it, worn in RVN and then state side. Nice pocket patch.

It's a private purchase fatigue shirt. They were patterned on the GI OG-107 but with some improvements to fit and how they looked (like the top button one usually buttons is higher and so it doesn't show as much of the undershirt and look as sloppy as the GI shirt). Also, they are usually made in the lightweight poplin that jungle uniforms are made from so they were cooler and could be pressed more cleanly. I've had them in poplin, like yours, and standard OG-107 sateen material so they made both. The tag is gone but might have stated that the shirt was made by BVD or Guaranteed Trooper. They were available in the PX and probably outside the gate or mail order. Maybe USARV72 even had one himself at one time. They are a cool shirt.

That is a really nice example, especially with the pocket patch.

These were also sold at Army Navy stores nation wide.

To add what hzamar said, these were also made by others as well, Fruit of the Loom, Sweet Or, and a company called Aronoff

Yours might be Aronoff as they had a tag that was identical to the WWII Gummed Gauze tags, these, like the WWII type, if in items that could be laundered in water, dissolved, leaving only the mesh gauze tag.

The Aronoff tags, normally only one tag is sewn into it, the one without the price, that one with the price if seen will be paper.
post-34986-0-42431500-1425579968.jpg

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback/explanation. Definitely have a better understanding of this style shirt.

Unless one wore the #@&$ pickle suit one has no idea how hot and uncomfortable the santee OG 107’s were in spring and summer. Had to startch them state side, made it worse. Jungle uniforms were the only way in RVN, feel sorry for the early guys that did not have them. Your guy undoubtly knew the situation and bought some at PX, plus he could wear them when he got stateside unless the “1st Shirt”, CO or Col.commanding dictated only sateen. Have an issue one burried in a container and the Navy had some leightweight shirts, can’t remember if I kept one or not, way to much stuff, lol.