Operation Desert Storm used USMC PASGT with Vet Provenance

AnDuc49

Hello all,

This is a PASGT helmet that I was able to pick up recently. While PASGTs are by no means rare, the fact that it’s a used and documented piece is what makes it truly shines in my eyes.

According to the vet,

I was in the Marine Corps from 88 to 92. In 89 I became a marksmanship Instructor with 2nd Marine Division on Camp Lejeune. I was an Instructor on the range all the way up until November of 90. I had orders to Okinawa Japan when Sadam invaded Kuwait. I was just a Lance Corporal, but I had a very good relationship with my Gunny and Capt. They pulled some strings and got my orders to Japan canceled for me. I was allowed to stay with 5th Battalion 10th Marines.

We deployed from Cherry Point Naval Air Station on 26 Dec 1990 for Saudi Arabia. We set up on the Kuwaiti border at the shortest distance to Kuwait City. I carried an M60 machine gun on a local security team that stayed a few miles in front of 8 inch self propelled artillery. We watched the oil fields be lit up and went through all of them once the ground war started. We went straight to Kuwait City and secured an airport. We were very fortunate that we only had a couple guys injured from friendly fire.We had a couple guys blown up in a 5 ton truck too, but my whole unit came home alive and in pretty good shape. We inflicted a lot in a short time on the enemy and took 1000s of prisoners. We flew back to Lejeune sometime in May of 91. Anyway that’s the short rundown on it my friend.

My name is *******, you can find me in the Combat Action Ribbon recipient database that will confirm my action dates and the helmet was with me the whole time

In addition to providing his service history, he was kind enough to provide several photos of him and others that he took during his time in Kuwait including two of him with his helmet (you can see in one of them that the camo pattern matches). As he said though, “I didn’t wear the heavy thing any time I could get away with it”

I hope that you all like it as much as I do!

post-154926-0-24073300-1554473920_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

This is an awesome lid! The Desert Storm era PASGT's don't seem like they show up in collections as much as M1's or even ACH's. Especially those that still have the original chocolate chip covers on them.

USMC-RECON0321

Nice helmet. I was with the Marines also during Desert Storm and brought my helmet home to keep. Can you tell me if his helmet has the EGA on the cover? Mine doesn't, nor do I remember us putting them on our helmet covers. Most pictures don't show them either, but the Boonie covers were a mix of some did and some didn't. I'd have to pull my bonnies out of my foot locker, but pretty sure mine didn't have the ega on those either.

Troy

Nice helmet. I was with the Marines also during Desert Storm and brought my helmet home to keep. Can you tell me if his helmet has the EGA on the cover? Mine doesn't, nor do I remember us putting them on our helmet covers. Most pictures don't show them either, but the Boonie covers were a mix of some did and some didn't. I'd have to pull my bonnies out of my foot locker, but pretty sure mine didn't have the ega on those either.

Troy

Hey Troy,

Thanks for your comment. Do you still have your helmet? I'd love to see it or any other items that you might have from that time

As for the EGA, the helmet doesn't have it. In the pictures, it doesn't look like there's an EGA on his boonie either.

I was talking with the vet over the weekend and luckily, he said he'd be willing to sell some other items that he carried with him during his time in Kuwait.

This includes his LC-2 "Alice" Pack and gas mask. He told me he had a lot more items which he kept, but they were unfortunately lost in a house fire.

post-154926-0-08343600-1554733318_thumb.jpg

Nice helmet An Duc. Looks like a pretty classic Desert Storm bring back. If you don't mind I thought I'd share mine. I brought this home from Desert Storm in March of 1991. Though my pics aren't as nice as yours, it's neat to see the similarities in both helmets.

IMG-0121.jpg

IMG-0122.jpg

IMG-0130.jpg