Antique shop prototype PASGT

hink441

Found this in a local antique shop. I nearly passed it by thinking it was an old airsoft kid's toy. I picked it up and looked at the helmet closely and remembered reading about the mid 1970s prototype Kevlar helmets. I wasn't sure this helmet was a prototype helmet but the price was really cheap so I took a chance.

I got it home and did a little research and I believe this is an early prototype PASGT Kevlar helmet. It is hand numbered #89 in the crown and is hand marked medium. Also has an airborne jump pad installed.

Here are some pics.

post-10825-0-28747500-1554427487_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-45852400-1554427497_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-72816600-1554427543.jpeg

Cool, I have always like that painted camo look!

Me too.

When I first started to see these in the 1978-79 SOLDIERS magazines I used to get from my local recruiting station before I joined up myself, I thought it was the intention that these would be CAMOed like this when they really would start issuing them whenever they were going to, I was disappointed a bit when I seen these were in solid OD, but then that was a bit after I got out, but never was issued with one, wore only the steel pot, BDUs yes, the Fritz no.

Does anyone know how many of these were made? I have read up on these but I really have no idea how many are out there.

I saw what one sold for on eBay (2016) and was shocked at the price!!

Anton, please feel free to show your 3 helmets. I would love to compare.

Chris

Thanks Linda. I found this helmet up on Bonney Rd.

Here is a 1977 US Army picture of this prototype of helmet. The Camo pattern in the Army picture is very similar to the pattern on my helmet.

post-10825-0-36139800-1554431544_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-94003100-1554431704_thumb.jpeg

Great helmet!!! Always nice to see another one of these show up!

They used a few distinct camo patterns on them, possibly 3 or 4 different ones. Likely painted with stencils, causing some helmets to have basically identical camo paint jobs.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Anton, the link is very informative and your helmet is really interesting. It appears your helmet was used to test the different weights/density of Kevlar, and tested against different compositions.

According to the provided link my helmet falls into this pictured group;

post-10825-0-87912100-1554461341_thumb.jpeg

Government Issue

I would have passed that over if I saw it. Good on you for taking the risk and initiative!

That photo though patches. That's priceless. Guy on the left is giving me Dark Lord Helmet vibes.