Question on US Army Signal Corps 1902 Full Dress Uniforms

tsakers85

Does anyone know the regulations for Signal Corps officers wearing a British style "pouch belt" with their 1902 Full Dress Uniforms? Also, does anyone have a photo of one?

This is Brigadier General George P. Scriven with a pouch belt.

post-10442-0-51143100-1554378952_thumb.jpg

It was simply called a "shoulder belt" and was a fancy strap ostensibly for holding a field glasses case. There were gold dummy "pencils" with chains on the front. The belts first came in in 1898 regulations I believe. You can read the description from 1917 here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3N5EAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA7#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've never seen a photo of one. They have to be super rare, before WW1 there were only 40-50 officers in the Signal Corps.

Justin B.

Thank you for that info! Jerry Lee of What Price Glory shared this image on Facebook. I had only seen these in European militaria, so I was very curious.

post-10442-0-85819500-1554467175_thumb.jpg

I had only seen these in European militaria, so I was very curious.

Yeah, it's definitely based on hussar officer pouch belts. Thanks for the pic, good to see what the case looks like.

It was simply called a "shoulder belt" and was a fancy strap ostensibly for holding a field glasses case. There were gold dummy "pencils" with chains on the front.

The "pencils" are spikes that would have been used to spike the touch-hole of enemy cannon, and thus render them unusable. They would be hammered into the touch-hole and the top broken off, leaving the spike in the hole. Some were shaped like arrows, some plain, on a chain so that they wouldn't drop off and be lost.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11888 shows a couple of types. Purely ceremonial now, but in 1902??

• 5 months later...

Here is a picture of the Signal Corps General's baldric/shoulder belt. I also have a Signal Corps field grade officers pattern. I am in the middle of a major remodel but when I get back up and get my stuff on display I will post more pictures. I have period photographs that I will post as well. Unfortunately the pencils and chains are missing on this one.

post-1237-0-32084600-1568256531_thumb.jpg

post-1237-0-67505300-1568256545.jpg

• 1 year later...
Pointedcuffs

I finally have my stuff out of storage and I am working on displays. I thought i would take some pictures of the baldrics before I put the uniforms in their display cases. Attached are pictures of a Signal Corps General's baldric and a Signal Corps Field Grade officer's baldric.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

I finally have my stuff out of storage and I am working on displays. I thought i would take some pictures of the baldrics before I put the uniforms in their display cases. Attached are pictures of a Signal Corps General's baldric and a Signal Corps Field Grade officer's baldric.
IMG_0718.jpg.b4efcd4e3a305fda606a4af719473274.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg.6c0183c887714f05229f82adff3732b1.jpg

Wow! Spectacular pieces! I wish these style uniforms were still in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk