"Toys Go To War" Display

siege1863

I was once again asked by my local library to put together a display. I though that since it was the Christmas Holidays, I would do a display of WWII toys. I thought that the kids who whine, pester, and expect their XBoxes, wii game systems, iPods, etc., should see what the children had available during the war years. The display not only shows how the war restricted the use of many materials, but how there was a great interest in toys with a military theme. In one corner of one case I added some WWII Christmas items, including a War Bond envelope; a Christmas puzzle with pieces in the shape of planes, tanks, bombs, etc,; a tree ornament with paper cap and hanger; and a magazine with a wartime Christmas cover.

post-211-1229908261.jpg

Excellent Exhibit. What a great way to demonstrate that "war" toys and guns are not evil. There are many people that think they are!

Our local library has a case for these types of seasonal exhibits. Maybe we'll do one like yours! We have many or the type of things you show.

BKW

Croix de Guerre

Great display and a wonderful collection! Are there any items that you could elaborate on? Any special stories? I would imagine this display elicits fond memories for some and sad poignant memories for others.

Merry Christmas!

brandon_rss18

Awesome display you have there, and so very different. I LOVE that wooden P-38 you have in that case. Does it have a story that you know of? Maybe someone in their family flew a lightning?