M3 Grease Gun Question

tk1976

I’m not sure where to post this, but figured I’d post it here. While going through some Cold War photos of the US I found this picture and saw that one of the soldiers had a M3 Grease Gun with the cocking handle. I was just curious as to whether these were still as commonly seen as the M3A1 by 1969?

Posted ImagePosted Image

REFORGER exercises included Army National Guard units, so it wouldn't be surprising to find outdated ordnance in their hands.

I participated in Reforger 80 in Germany and I carried the M3 but mine did not have a cocking handle.

The VTR crew ( mechanics) had them at Ft Polk in the early 80's . I would assume the maintenance platoon had them in Germany but we were changing over to Division 86 and all the mechanics were in Headquarters company and not the line units

Thanks for all the input guys. They most likely are armor guys. Other pictures Ive seen from this collection have all the armor guys wearing chest holsters. Plus I think I also remember reading that all tanks were equipped with a grease gun since WW2. I do find it pretty interesting that a handful of these mightve still been in service and not used up in WW2 considering they werent manufactured that long.

• 2 weeks later...

The VTR crew ( mechanics) had them at Ft Polk in the early 80's . I would assume the maintenance platoon had them in Germany but we were changing over to Division 86 and all the mechanics were in Headquarters company and not the line units

I was a VTR crewman and Mechanic. That is why I carried one.