WW1 Uniforms?

Bsquirrely

I'm looking to get into WW1, but not start any fights here, honest answers

Hands down who supplies the best uniforms?

I am looking to find out in the following standards;

Price

quality

sizes

endurance

selection

(authenticity falls into quality!)

A simple 1 through 10 for each category, with any "War" stories about the products please.

Thanks!

Schipperfabrik.- For everything but British wool, which you have to go to What price glory for. If you are doing German, American, Marine, French, Austrian Belgium, etc. it is Schipperfabrik. Uniforms are made to order, so you wait a few weeks and they things are just wonderful. The ONLY problems I have heard of are when idiots do not measure themsleves properly and think that they still have a 32" waist when they are now a 42"

Hong Kong Keith was selling some WW1 on ebay but seems to have vanished? But his material is not that good and to be correct there are a lot of small things that have to be done to the uniforms to make them right.

The others are AEF Supply (which has a major issue at this moment and I suggest you search the web before ordering. Until Alan makes thing right with people I can't recomend him anymore.

Of course Great War Militaria is still making stuff I guess , but they were always pretty pricey. Still worth checking with them.

What price glory has some US web gear they make.

There's that big militaria company onthe east coast- that imports stuff- I aqm locking ontheir name, They have some WW1 webbing too but what I have seen is total junk.

There were two guys in the mid west making stiuff 20 years ago, but they have stopped - in their words anything "made to order" essentially means it will be a major pain the neck and the buyers exspect you to work for $1 an hour.

If you do a search you'll find a Pakistani or Indian company claiming to sell stuff. DO NOT buy from them as they have ripped people off pretty badly.

A french company is starting to make Horizon Blue, but the only photo of the wool has an odd color so who knows.

I can't think of anyone else at the minute. But I STRONGLY suggest you talk to guys doing whatever impression you aare intersted in. All roads WW1 lead to Newville, and they do not allow freelancing (you have to be a member of an established unit) so you might as well find one and check with them.

I assume Yank- which essentially means Schipperfabrik- and you can't go wrong with them. They don't do WW1 boots as there is a guy (they link to him) that you just can;t beat for quality so why bother to try.

They are doing a 15% off sale due to the bad economy, and I hear have been flooded with uniform porders so are running a bit behind. As it states on their website.

I have not had any of his WWI US uniforms, but my friend Paul Schipper made me a really outstanding reproduction of an early war Belgian greatcoat. No one will ever beat the quality of the old Joe Covais (New Columbia) reproductions, but as he is no longer in business, that is a moot point.

I also know that Paul takes his business and customer satisfaction very seriously. I would recommend him without hesitation.

www.schipperfabrik.com

The Belgium Army rules.

If I had the money I'd go get the whole kit 'n kaboodle from him!

But seriously. I have a full 1912 set from him. wonderful stuff. But I also have one of his raincoats, which is just soooo cool, as you can wear it (and it will keep you dry) without the feeling you are ruining a rare original. I think that as of now Schipperfabrik is really the only serious game in town. If you find someone cheaper, there is no way it will be anywhere near the quality.

Croix de Guerre

I can't speak for his American uniforms as I have not seen them but Rick Keller at Great War Militaria - http://www.greatwar.com/scripts/default.asp

has some pretty good German repop uniforms. He is expensive but going to his shop is like going to a WWI Wal-Mart!

You planning on going up to Newville? I tried it but my heart wasn't in it,,too much like playing "army" in the backyard when I was a kid. The site is very cool though,,,,,the flea market there has yeilded some surprises,,nice folks,,good eye candy with all the uniforms walking around,,they even have WWI airplanes buzz the site every now and then!

Thanks for the input gentlemen; I will now proceed to the "begging the wife" phase of acquiring a uniform for the impression.

Just a heads up if you havent been to their site recently. They have a twenty percent off sale until the 5th. The website says instock items and I dont know if it includes uniforms but if it does then its a great deal like $80.00+ off. There is a wait right now due to big orders but its worth a look.

Mike

Just a heads up if you havent been to their site recently. They have a twenty percent off sale until the 5th. The website says instock items and I dont know if it includes uniforms but if it does then its a great deal like $80.00+ off. There is a wait right now due to big orders but its worth a look.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on the sale, it will add ammo in my begging phase with the misses.