Shop Has A Pile Of Fatigues From Late 60s - Early 90s: What Rarer Pieces Should I Look For?

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

I recently found a vintage shop that had a pile of various fatigues and a few field coats, mostly everything was Army from the late 60s to about the early 90s. Many appeared to have belonged to a career Army officer. The fatigue jackets and pants were about $20-$25 each, so they were not exactly cheap.

Anyhow, I managed to pull two 5th pattern ranger tab patched officers jungle jackets (one OD and one ERDL) out of the pile, so I know there were a few good pieces in there among the more common 80s BDU style fatigues. Since I bought some other different items as well, I got a bit of a discount on them.

I am not an expert on fatigues, but I was hoping to pull a few more pieces out of there to try to flip and make a few bucks on. Unfortunately, I could not take a picture of some of the pieces I was unsure about and left behind. Can anyone give me some advice as to what some of the rarer styles of fatigues and field coats to look from this time period (mostly early 70s to late 80s) given the prices they are asking for each piece (about $20-25 each)? There are no tiger stripes by the way, just mostly 80s BDUs and the following:

A) A pair of OD jungle pants (they had a zipper, so maybe 6th pattern??)

B. A pair of ERDL jungle pants (not sure of the pattern, but were starched; not sure if that affects value)

C) What looked like a ERDL jungle jacket, but with straight (not slanted) pockets, and a large washed out white tag at the neck collar. I believe this is called ERDL RDF fatigues.

D) I saw another set of ERDL jungle pants, but they may have actually went with the ERDL RDF jacket.

E) A patched OD utility shirt from late 70s or early 80s to same Army Officer with 101st patch, ranger tab, jump wings, pathfinder patch, EIB patch, all merrowed.

F) Some 80s BDU to same Officer with same patches as above.

Are any of the above worth picking up? Is any USMC fatigue jackets or coats from the early post Vietnam era to 80s worth picking up too? Any help is appreciated!

At those prices you'd have a hard time making any money. Sounds like you already got the best pieces but even those aren't going to go for much over what you paid for them. I think you did well to leave the rest behind.

At those prices you'd have a hard time making any money. Sounds like you already got the best pieces but even those aren't going to go for much over what you paid for them. I think you did well to leave the rest behind.

I agree. Now if you think the pants A) and B) match the jungle fatigue jackets that you bought, you might want to pick them up to make complete sets.

I'm assuming item E) had subdued insignia. If you find one like that with color insignia, it would be worth picking up. With subdued insignia $20 is about what it is worth...but they are getting harder to find. But you won't make any money on it right now. Same with the BDU's.

In regards to the Vietnam era "jungle" uniforms, the condition and size of the pants/jacket plays a significant role on the value. Even the later pattern uniforms in excellent condition and size large or XL can bring good prices, so they are always worth checking out.

The ERDL RDF uniforms do not bring as much as their Vietnam war era "jungle" counterparts do.

AirMechanic

Thank you everyone for the advice. I was kind of thinking along the same lines regarding value when I was first there and that is why I only picked up those two jackets. They are medium regular and the patches are all subdued and standard merrowed edge (no theater made patches). I think Ill leave the rest. Thanks again!