Pre-Contract Roby M1860 Cavalry Sword

kilgarvan

Can anyone chime in on this sword? I know its in rough shape, but, if I understand correct its a Pre Contract early 1861 Roby. How rare is this? How many swords were made during the pre contract with this simple marking? Thoughts? Also, leave as is since its rare? Restore it? Thanks!

post-150849-0-44388800-1554235767_thumb.jpeg

Kilgarven- You're in luck! I own two Roby model 1860 sabers, an 1861, like yours, and an 1865. I grew up in Chelmsford Ma, and worked a short distance from where the plant was. The first ones made by Christopher Roby were in 1861. These lacked the date, and the circular "West Chelmsford Mass" logo.In 1861 they only produced 410 of the 1860s. Roby produced 32,000 by 1865. The handles have an extra wire wrap, at 13 if memory is correct. Prior to the Civil War they made scythes for farming, so swords would have been an easy transition. SKIP

It looks like the scabbard has been nickel plated. I have seen this before on some Cavalry sabers. Could have been done during wartime or might have been done for continued postwar use by Militia Troopers.

I think I would be tempted to leave it un-restored. It looks nice as is in my eyes.

Spathologist

It looks like the scabbard has been nickel plated. I have seen this before on some Cavalry sabers. Could have been done during wartime or might have been done for continued postwar use by Militia Troopers.

I think I would be tempted to leave it un-restored. It looks nice as is in my eyes.

Perhaps used as a Cavalry staff NCO/1st SGT saber post-1910.

Perhaps used as a Cavalry staff NCO/1st SGT saber post-1910.

Farrington thoroughly documents this use of M1860 Cavalry sabers with nickel-plated scabbards for this purpose in his book "Swords & Sabers of the US Army, 1867-1918".. I would definitely not try to unplate your scabbard.

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, I think I will leave it as is.

Do you think this is one of only 410 produced in 1861?????

If anybody has any thoughts on value, please shoot me a PM as I know this is not the "whats it worth" forum.

Thanks.

Found this Springfield Armory site w/ info on the C.Roby Model 1860. This is the site, and how it was spelled-- "Saber-US Saber Model 1860 Cavalry." "WW2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=%2Fspring%2FDETAILS". Just go with the Saber spelled, easier. It does give the information about the 410 sold in 1861. Good info. SKIP

C. Roby 1861 info 001.jpg

Despite condition, this seems to be a very rare and desirable early Roby with high probability its one of the 410!

Very cool!!